Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so lets say in a hypothetical world, a "friend" of mine was going to jump start his bike off his car because the bike's battery was dead. Lets say it was dark outside and my friend wasn't paying very close attention and somehow accidentally hooked the jumper cables up backwards and now his bike is completely dead...nothing electrical works at all. In this purely hypothetical situation, what would you guess was blown out? A solenoid? Certainly he didn't fry every electrical component on the bike when 24 volts briefly shot through the system....right?

Oh and my friend's bike is an '88 VT1100C.

Thanks, my friend will appreciate any advice.

-Jud
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Well, your "friend" will have to replace the main fuse before he can start his bike. The main fuse should be on the starter relay above the battery...under the seat. You will have to take the seat off...then remove the cover (and wires) on the relay. The fuse is under that cover. It is a blade type 30 amp.

Tell your "friend" good luck from me. :D

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My friend thanks you, however, he already checked all the fuses including the 30 amp main fuse. None of them are blown. And remember, it's not just that the starter won't turn over...nothing at all comes on when the ignition is turned on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Hooking up jumper cables the wrong way will not run 24 volts through your bike, but instead will dead short both batteries. Since the car battery you were jumping with is so much more powerful (amps wise), it may be possible that it completely killed the bike battery.

Not 100% sure, but it may be worth checking... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shroomhead said:
Hooking up jumper cables the wrong way will not run 24 volts through your bike, but instead will dead short both batteries. Since the car battery you were jumping with is so much more powerful (amps wise), it may be possible that it completely killed the bike battery.

Not 100% sure, but it may be worth checking... :D
2 12-volt batteries connected in series = 24 volts. I'm pretty sure it needs a new battery anyway, but when I checked it still showed ~11 volts, so if something wasn't blown, the lights would still come on when the ignition is turned on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Spirit_1100 said:
Well, your "friend" will have to replace the main fuse before he can start his bike. The main fuse should be on the starter relay above the battery...under the seat. You will have to take the seat off...then remove the cover (and wires) on the relay. The fuse is under that cover. It is a blade type 30 amp.

Tell your "friend" good luck from me. :D

Joe
Remember its a "hypothetical" problem,
A "hypothetical" Friend"
And A "hypothetical" world!
So wouldn't that make him looking for a "hypothetical" blade type 30amp fuse?? LOL! j/k

I would ask if during this "hypothetical" experience if any one smelled any "hypothetical" smoke that may have smelled like electrical wire insulation burning or melting??

If not then I would check out the rectifier, that's the little finned thingy that is usually mounted towards the lower side of the bike, in a "hypothetical" world.
MarkC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MarkC said:
Spirit_1100 said:
Well, your "friend" will have to replace the main fuse before he can start his bike. The main fuse should be on the starter relay above the battery...under the seat. You will have to take the seat off...then remove the cover (and wires) on the relay. The fuse is under that cover. It is a blade type 30 amp.

Tell your "friend" good luck from me. :D

Joe
Remember its a "hypothetical" problem,
A "hypothetical" Friend"
And A "hypothetical" world!
So wouldn't that make him looking for a "hypothetical" blade type 30amp fuse?? LOL! j/k

I would ask if during this "hypothetical" experience if any one smelled any "hypothetical" smoke that may have smelled like electrical wire insulation burning or melting??

If not then I would check out the rectifier, that's the little finned thingy that is usually mounted towards the lower side of the bike, in a "hypothetical" world.
MarkC
Haha, no hypothetical smoke or burning smell. Not quite sure how to check the rectifier, but I'll mention it to my friend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Aviator said:
2 12-volt batteries connected in series = 24 volts. I'm pretty sure it needs a new battery anyway, but when I checked it still showed ~11 volts, so if something wasn't blown, the lights would still come on when the ignition is turned on.
The connection that was made wasn't a series connection.
A series connection using two batteries would be the two batteries connected together via the positive to negitive terminals, that leaves an open positive terminal on one battery and an open negitive terminal on the other battery. Those two terminals would be a positive and negitive 24 volt connection, IF both batteries were 12v to start with.
MarkC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MarkC said:
Aviator said:
2 12-volt batteries connected in series = 24 volts. I'm pretty sure it needs a new battery anyway, but when I checked it still showed ~11 volts, so if something wasn't blown, the lights would still come on when the ignition is turned on.
The connection that was made wasn't a series connection.
A series connection using two batteries would be the two batteries connected together via the positive to negitive terminals, that leaves an open positive terminal on one battery and an open negitive terminal on the other battery. Those two terminals would be a positive and negitive 24 volt connection, IF both batteries were 12v to start with.
MarkC
Oh snap...you're right! I'm - I mean my friend - is gonna go try something...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My friend thanks you all! Turns out it WAS that 30-amp main fuse...what I was looking at the first time was the SPARE fuse...they put the spare right under the starter relay and it looked like it was in a socket. The real one was buried pretty far under some wires and tape in the wire bundle but it was definately blown.

Thanks Joe, you were right. I'm goin for a ride now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Aviator said:
I'm goin for a ride now!
You do mean if the fuse was bad that you could go for a ride on your friends "hypothetically" broke down motorcycle right??
I love happen endings, even in a fairy tail world.
MarkC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Aviator said:
My friend thanks you all! Turns out it WAS that 30-amp main fuse...what I was looking at the first time was the SPARE fuse...they put the spare right under the starter relay and it looked like it was in a socket. The real one was buried pretty far under some wires and tape in the wire bundle but it was definately blown.

Thanks Joe, you were right. I'm goin for a ride now!
I know because I have done it. Just glad that you guys (I hate dealing with people with multiple personalities) figured it out.

Hope you enjoyed your ride...now...go riding for me...it is only 19F here is St. Louis.

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Is it safe for hypothetical people with multiple personalities to ride cycles?

Congrats on just blowing the fuse (I hope?).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Aviator said:
shroomhead said:
Hooking up jumper cables the wrong way will not run 24 volts through your bike, but instead will dead short both batteries. Since the car battery you were jumping with is so much more powerful (amps wise), it may be possible that it completely killed the bike battery.

Not 100% sure, but it may be worth checking... :D
2 12-volt batteries connected in series = 24 volts. I'm pretty sure it needs a new battery anyway, but when I checked it still showed ~11 volts, so if something wasn't blown, the lights would still come on when the ignition is turned on.
Are they really connected in series? Or just dead shorted?

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, we already came to an agreement that it isn't really a series circuit.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top