Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what all the big deal was about airport security. Two of us, two backpacks..all of maybe 5 minutes to get through. No pat downs, no screenings..bad TSA people BAD!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
...and so you are disappointed?

·
Banned
956 Posts
It has never been a big deal or hassle for me. Once I forgot I had steel toes on, had to go back, take them off and walk through again. That is the extent of my hassle.

So, no profiling of the Crazy Dude. I was right.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Wondering what all the big deal was about airport security. Two of us, two backpacks..all of maybe 5 minutes to get through. No pat downs, no screenings..bad TSA people BAD!
:shock: Oh...they don't care who goes into Florida. But you'll play h*ll getting back into the United States when you leave Florida. :lol::lol::p

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
LOLOLOL

Good on you Dave.

Every time I fly my carry on is searched, we're talking turned inside out and shaken not stirred searched. Then again that might have something to do with the fact I'm usually carrying my Dive gear in my Carry On. (No way I'm putting some $3K worth of regs and computers in my hold baggage.)

Cat

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
LOLOLOL

Good on you Dave.

Every time I fly my carry on is searched, we're talking turned inside out and shaken not stirred searched. Then again that might have something to do with the fact I'm usually carrying my Dive gear in my Carry On. (No way I'm putting some $3K worth of regs and computers in my hold baggage.)

Cat
I'd suggest a pelican case but I figure you've probably thought of that.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I'd suggest a pelican case but I figure you've probably thought of that.
Yep, thought of that and dismissed it.

I carry my regs and computers in my carry on along with reading material and some snacks. This way it keeps me to one carry on.

Checking one's regulators is a good way to get them stolen. Having them in anything that looks like a dedicated Dive Kit just makes sure they vanish. (A friend of mine did an experiment a couple of years back. He loaded his clothing into his Dive Box while loading his Dry Suit into his Suitcase along with such important things as his underwear. His Regs and computers were loaded into his and his wifes Carry On bags. He was a direct flight from Miami to L.A. Somewhere between Miami and L.A. his dive box simply vanished. The rest of their bags and his gear arrived without a problem.)

Cat

·
Registered
3,701 Posts

I carry my regs and computers in my carry on along with reading material and some snacks. This way it keeps me to one carry on.

Checking one's regulators is a good way to get them stolen. Having them in anything that looks like a dedicated Dive Kit just makes sure they vanish. (A friend of mine did an experiment a couple of years back. He loaded his clothing into his Dive Box while loading his Dry Suit into his Suitcase along with such important things as his underwear. His Regs and computers were loaded into his and his wifes Carry On bags. He was a direct flight from Miami to L.A. Somewhere between Miami and L.A. his dive box simply vanished. The rest of their bags and his gear arrived without a problem.)

Cat
airport security, gotta love it.
I'm still analog. still calculating my dives with pencil and paper. What can I say I'm cheap. If I dived more I'd probably consider a computer but mostly here it's just quarries. Work sched doesn't permit as much as I'd like. My nearest location is circleville twin quarries, not real deep. To hit 20 ft I'd have to use a shovel.
However cheap is less to replace if airport baggage handlers decide my stuff is what they need.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
airport security, gotta love it.
I'm still analog. still calculating my dives with pencil and paper. What can I say I'm cheap. If I dived more I'd probably consider a computer but mostly here it's just quarries. Work sched doesn't permit as much as I'd like. My nearest location is circleville twin quarries, not real deep. To hit 20 ft I'd have to use a shovel.
However cheap is less to replace if airport baggage handlers decide my stuff is what they need.
I do both. A dive computer with a paper backup.

Then again with some fifteen years of diving under my belt, and a lot of those dives being solo I do tend to be a bit conservative.

Most of my dives are between 30 and 40 feet although I have done a bounce dive to 130.

Cat

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you want to get the xray people excited, put your garmin bean-bag base in your backpack. It seems that the "beans" are actually steal balls separated into 4 quadrants. I've never actually seen a bomb, but after seeing the xray I can see why the security people got excited! The guy behind me immediately pulled his out of his luggage and laid it out separately.

·
Registered
360 Posts

Cat
This is similar to why I will ship my guns via dedicated carrier to my hunting destination instead of on the plane. Having your guns in a hard case is OK by regulations, but they have to have a bright orange tag attached that reads FIREARMS.:shock:

I know that guns are more closely monitored and also serial numbered for tracking, but I'm not risking any of my guns to underpaid, sticky fingered luggage workers.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
This is similar to why I will ship my guns via dedicated carrier to my hunting destination instead of on the plane. Having your guns in a hard case is OK by regulations, but they have to have a bright orange tag attached that reads FIREARMS.:shock:

I know that guns are more closely monitored and also serial numbered for tracking, but I'm not risking any of my guns to underpaid, sticky fingered luggage workers.
You won't have a gun stolen by an airline or airport. Lost, maybe, but stolen, no.

Fishing tackle, absolutely. I always mail my rods, reels, and fly boxes.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
My son-in-law got a few spent ammo rounds thru in Minneapolis a couple weeks ago. He never knew it till he got to Denver. Being they were not loaded, they let him thru. He forgot to clean out his backpack before packing for the trip and didn't even know they were in there. I'm surprised they didn't question him about it.

·
Registered
10,067 Posts
I never mind security checks. Keeps me feeling safe and secure that they're looking for the bad guys.

I wouldn't mind a pat down by a decent looking TSA agent..... ;-)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts