Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's how I spent my 4th of July... practicing my second go at painting snake skin with some tips from a custom painting pro....

I redid the helmet (you don't really want to see the first attempt :D) and also did an old computer case I had laying around...

Here's a close up of the 'scales..

This is just the first two coats of clear. I still have to wet sand and put the final coat on.

Not sure which shading I like better, the hard edge shadowing on the helmet, or the softer shadow edge on the computer case. The case also has more intense mottling with the copper pearl. i did it on the helmet as well but not as heavy. You can just make it out on the left hand side of the helmet 'skin'

All in all I'm pretty pleased with it..
lol ... now if I can just duplicate it on the bike I'll be all set! Here's the Maxim project I have been working on that will get painted like this...

·
Registered
358 Posts
How did you do that? I could maybe figure out the flat one, but not on the helmet. That's pretty clean. Those torn edges look pretty sweet.
Is this from an airbrush?
I was debating a while back on getting an airbrush kit to do small stuff like this. I do vinyl work on the side and I can do lots of intricate stuff for stencils. With an airbrush setup I could get in there and do more detailed shading.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you do that? I could maybe figure out the flat one, but not on the helmet. That's pretty clean. Those torn edges look pretty sweet.
Is this from an airbrush?
I was debating a while back on getting an airbrush kit to do small stuff like this. I do vinyl work on the side and I can do lots of intricate stuff for stencils. With an airbrush setup I could get in there and do more detailed shading.
It was actually pretty easy and didn't involve an airbrush at all...since I have absolutely "0" skills with one of those.. lol
Here's a condensed version of how I did it...Painted a black base coat, laid some mesh material over that then sprayed a silver, the over that I sprayed a charcoal gray at an angle. Pulled off the mesh,spayed some water with a squirt bottle so i had little droplets, then misted black over that. Once it dried I taped off the center and sprayed the silver on the sides, and then followed that up with an oversprayed black along the tape edge...then cleared it. I still have to wet sand and add more coats of clear. I may take some dark grey pearl and add some markings on the skin before I put the final coats of clear down.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Great paint work. I used to paint but haven't in years.

On a side not, what fenders are on the bike you posted? I want some full fenders for my bike.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great paint work. I used to paint but haven't in years.

On a side not, what fenders are on the bike you posted? I want some full fenders for my bike.
These are fenders that I found on evilbay. Had to split the frame and widen it for the back fender and had to machine fender struts for both the front and rear. The tailight housing was actually an oops from the first attempt at mounting the rear fender :mrgreen: build thread is here...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Love that look. hard to believe it was so easy. I do airbrushing as a hobby... mostly stencil work (skill isn't good enough for freehand yet). i think that i might try this out, maybe add it to my skill set.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.