Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
now bare with me as don't know much about my bike (yet) but over the past couple of weeks the bike has developed an issue with not wanting to start very easy and will sputter and die the first two times i try to start it, but the third it starts fine and runs wonderful afterwards, My first though from talking to a friend is that i might have fouled my plugs from all those bad starts and trying to take off in the wrong gear that you get from being a new rider :mrgreen:

Oh, been using the same gas station from the day i bought the bike.

forgot the bike, stock (for now) 2010 phantom

thoughts?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Being a fuel injected bike does the fuel pump run to prim the system when you turn the key? Are you waiting for it to finish priming before you attempt to start it?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Is it hot when the problem is occuring, possibly something like vapor lock?
Dan

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I normally turn the key then put my gloves on so yea it has plenty of time.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it hot when the problem is occuring, possibly something like vapor lock?
Dan
101 today when i took it on a spin for lunch, Only thing i Did notice is there was a slight pop on the second start attempt before it died.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Dan might be on to something with the vapor lock idea. That can occur if the bike is still hot from running recently. What happens is after you shut off the bike the heat from the engine vaporizes the fuel still in the lines. When you go to restart you aren't getting fuel to the injectors due to this. You can trying cycling the key several times thereby giving yourself a couple of extra prime cycles. See if that helps.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
decent point But i have been having this issue on the first start of the day along with restarts

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
decent point But i have been having this issue on the first start of the day along with restarts
It is under warranty (I assume, being a 2010) - take it back to the dealer and get it fixed. Sounds like it could be a serious problem. Might be detonation.

Or, it could be some bad gas...

I had bad gas last night from some refried beans....

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is under warranty (I assume, being a 2010) - take it back to the dealer and get it fixed. Sounds like it could be a serious problem. Might be detonation.

Or, it could be some bad gas...

I had bad gas last night from some refried beans....
it very well could be bad gas, I do need to take it back to see about getting the that recall part switched out - bank sensor, won't hurt to have em look at it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Would this bike have a "check engine" light and throw a trouble code maybe?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts