Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding this weekend through the mountains for an archery tournament, I found out what it's like to hit my reserve.

Usually, I switch it over around 110 miles, because I get about 65mpg on my VLX, just to be safe. Well, the trip was 130 to the destination, so I figured I'd be fine on gas until I got to the hotel. At around 100miles, the bike started sputtering and almost stalled out by the time I realized I needed to flip to reserve.

I didn't realize that going uphill at 4k above my usual elevation was going to make such a drastic difference in fuel economy. :roll:

I guess I now know what it's like to empty the main lol

P.S. Some pics from the weekend, for y'all's viewing pleasure (sorry they are rotated. can't figure out how to turn them the right way :sad:)

Hill station Tourism Crowd Tree Mountain range

Plant Pole

Tree Line Vehicle Recreation Plant

Vehicle Mountain bike

Target archery Recreation Colorfulness Circle Shooting sport

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Jeez, 65 mpg. I get 26-30 on my VLX.

But I've got some carb parts on order so I've got that going for me

65mpg is not unusual for the VLX however I would say it is on the higher end of what most of us get.
26-30mpg is a problem. You should be getting at least 50mpg. Hope your new parts help you get that worked out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I had that happen on my Spirit 750 a couple of years ago on the way to Yellowstone. It put me about 20 miles short of the next gas station, so I cooled it till I got gas.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,108 Posts
xclm was getting 65MPGs here in rural GA on his VLX too...
Once I asked "How many miles you got left? 25?? " he said yes, and there was a station right at 25 miles, so we both made it OK...

I regularly switch to RES with no problem, just varied mileages...

Lets RIDE

·
Registered
118 Posts
I average 55-57mpg on my 2000 750 ACE with mixed riding.. only once crossed the 60mpg mark, but that was with a lot of highway miles ran at 55-60mph..

·
Registered
848 Posts
It's not a pleasant sensation, for sure, when it starts sputtering. My 1100 usually lets me know around 130-135, so when I'm close to that mark I start to familiarize myself with where the petcock is. I don't go ahead and turn it, because I want to know when that threshold is crossed so I have some idea of how much gas is left.
When the low fuel light comes on the Nomad, I have around a gallon remaining. There's no reserve on it.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,277 Posts
RI didn't realize that going uphill at 4k above my usual elevation was going to make such a drastic difference in fuel economy. :roll:
Didn't you ever go downhill? You can ease off the throttle when you do. My MPG tends to go up by 20+% when I'm riding in the mountains. (That's probably because I'm on twisty roads running at lower speeds -- and loving every second of it. :D )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.