Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

· Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bikers for the most part are a great bunch of guys. There is a feeling of brotherhood/sisterhood that paramount with most bikers I've met. Anyway... I come up to a red light and pull up beside this bike sitting at the light. I look over, raise my shield and give him a nice friendly, loud "howdy!". The guy looks me in the eye, looks down at my bike, looks me in the eye again and then looks straight ahead and proceeds to ignore my presence. All I could think was, "So that's how it is eh? Too bad for you.". I feel bad for people like that, life can be so much happier.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
Guessing his reaction was based on your presence is equally as judgmental as you are trying to convey. Perhaps he wasn't "looking down on your bike" but rather this was his "nod in return." You will find yourself in a happier world if you do not percieve an inert reaction as a personal attack.

· Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah... didn't take it personally at all. It definitely wasn't a "nod" as he looked at the bike front to back. As I said, I felt sad for him.

· Registered
2,912 Posts
Just let it roll off. We tend to think we know what people are thinking at any given moment. He may have been thinking your bike isn't "real", but he may well have been completely distracted by thoughts of a dying loved one, a lost job, bad news from his doctor...anything. We never know what dragons another person is facing in their life.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
You are still judging his reaction. Without direct communication, this is only your interpretation of a negative experience. There are 1000 variables which come into play and if you are content with your contribution to the reaction, there is no reason to question his response.

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts
Not a fan of the type.. Don't need to be either.. People with such inane prejudices aren't gonna be somebody I would want to hang with anyway.. So.. You don't miss much by not being in that guy's graces..

Yup.. Wish that one the best of luck in that he finds people of his own kind to be friendly with.. Me, I'll be friendly with all of 'em.. I win ;)

· Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great comments all...

Yep... sometimes it's hard to think past the moment. I'll keep all y'alls comments in mind next time.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
Yup.. Wish that one the best of luck in that he finds people of his own kind to be friendly with.. Me, I'll be friendly with all of 'em.. I win ;)
Mark, that has been my experience. I have never complained about a negative experience on this board because I always put forth the best experience I could.

If you are content with the effort you put forth, you cannot be disappointed in the reaction of the receiver. If you feel you could've done more, then feel free to be disappointed in the exchange. Do not hold an individual reaction as a measure of your internal motivation.

· Registered
139 Posts
I think Zanshin's take on this fellow biker is legitimate. I've had lots of crap on my plate and I can manage a token nod or smile in return to such an obviously friendly gesture given as Zanshin indicates regardless of my own dark day or immediate reality. When first riding my little Suzuki S40, I had a guy on a big Harley sneer at me. I laughed and throttled on by him. I too find most bikers great folks, but I won't waste my time making excuses for snarly arrogance and dismissive behaviours because someone may be having a bad day or circumstance. That's a load of crap. I'm here to legitimize Zanshin's kindly and human attempt at comraderie. To hell with that other biker's reality.

· Registered
4,011 Posts
You're missing the point. Don't let another rider's reaction drag you down...

· Premium Member
11,278 Posts
At lights and situations like this, I tend to pull a bit ahead or slightly behind other riders.(can't make eye contact easily) It avoids only what I've read about happening to folks and their perceptions of what occurred. It works.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
So, ya didn't say what type of machine the other guy was ridin'.

That would make all the difference in this discussion.

Judging by the guy's reaction to your bike he must'a been ridin' a... a... ah...

Le'me guess.............. a

Harley!

Yeah, that's it!

No wonder.

Next case. ;-)

EDIT: Someone above threw out the 'Harley' crack so never mind. I'm goin' back to bed.

'Night ya'all! ;-) ;-)

· Registered
4,011 Posts
Zanshin wasn't letting this guy drag him down. He was clear about his response.
It dragged him down enough to make a post about it on an internet forum.

Old Dad is right - avoid the situation altogether and ride on.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.