Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my front tire barely has any tread left in the middle of the tire. I've been looking around at tires and found that they are more expensive than any tire I've ever bought for any of my vehicles...including my GMC Suburban.

There are so many to choose from and I really want a longer wearing tire that will hold the road. I've seen many of you tout about Avon and Metzler tires.

Why are they so expensive? Anybody got a good source for reasonable priced tires? The Honda dealership is asking $290 for the front and the rear tire for my Shadow and then $95 per tire for mount and balance. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
987 Posts
you need to go to another dealer :shock: i paid about $200.00 for my front tire including mount and balance.they charge $50.00 for mount and balance,not $95.and its a metzler.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I've never had a tire last more than 7K, so now I use $65 tires from DennisKirk , and mount them myself. You would need a bead breaker, tire spoons, and air compressor to get the bead to catch again though.

·
Registered
419 Posts
To answer the OP's question...

Motorcycle tires are more expensive than car tires because of demand.

How many car tires are there on the roads? Millions? Billions? And they are usually sold in sets of 4.

MC's only have 2 wheels and each one takes a different tire. And you only buy one of each.

The manufacturers need to make a profit after R&D and mold making and the like so each tire is more expensive because they sell less of them than car tires. Simple supply and demand.

Sucks but that's the way it rolls... :lol:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
IRC wildflares. Great tires at a cheaper price. I used them on my '89 VT1100c for 50,000 + miles. (wore a few sets out) They stick well in all weather applications, and wear well. -----Metalguy :wink:

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Dennis Peacock said:
I noticed that my front tire barely has any tread left in the middle of the tire. I've been looking around at tires and found that they are more expensive than any tire I've ever bought for any of my vehicles...including my GMC Suburban.

There are so many to choose from and I really want a longer wearing tire that will hold the road. I've seen many of you tout about Avon and Metzler tires.

Why are they so expensive? Anybody got a good source for reasonable priced tires? The Honda dealership is asking $290 for the front and the rear tire for my Shadow and then $95 per tire for mount and balance. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
That's incredibly expensive.
I paid $80 for a Bridgestone for the rear and $15 to mount it.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Here's one more vote for the IRC Wildflare. Got the same mileage out of one of those as a Metzler 880, and a heck of a lot cheaper. I like the Metzler in the rain a little better though, so I run an IRC on the rear and a Metzler on the front. I replace the front with every other rear, so it works out pretty good. Local bike shop here will mount and balance for $15 a rim if you bring the rims in. This is a lot easier on my bike since I have a center stand, but a few tire changes will more than pay for a bike jack in the end.

--Justin

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
our local dealers will mount and balance free if you buy the tire there. They're a shave more expensive but in the end it's the same .

So I guess mount and balance isn't really free.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Anywhere will be cheaper than the motorcycle dealer. The only thing I would have them do is to mount it for you MAYBE! I have found Dennis Kirk to be the cheapest by a few bucks and they have the cheap tires as well as the more expensive ones. If you want to do it yourself you can pay for the hand tools in one change, or if you change a lot of tires you can pay for the Harbor Freight changer in about three tire changes. Go with the Dyna Beads and no need to pay for balancing either. They will cost you about $12.00 for front and rear with shipping, but you will pay that or more at a tire shop. After you have the tools and have done three changes the rest are tire purchases only.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I'm having pretty good luck with Kenda tires. They aren't as sticky as some others, but since all my riding is commuting on the freeway with very little corners they do quite well. I got 12k out of my first rear and will probably do better with the one on there now.

Okay, so they do seem to attract nails, but I'm not sure that's the tire's fault. But it's why I bought a tire plugger kit.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,196 Posts
Rhumba555 said:
To answer the OP's question...

Motorcycle tires are more expensive than car tires because of demand.

How many car tires are there on the roads? Millions? Billions? And they are usually sold in sets of 4.

MC's only have 2 wheels and each one takes a different tire. And you only buy one of each.

The manufacturers need to make a profit after R&D and mold making and the like so each tire is more expensive because they sell less of them than car tires. Simple supply and demand.

Sucks but that's the way it rolls... :lol:
All that is true when it comes to the cost of the tires TO THE MANUFACTURER AND RETAILER.

The reason that the tires cost us, the riders, so much is that the sellers can get that much from us. Maybe not from me, or maybe even you, but certainly from enough riders to make charging those prices reasonable. That is how free markets work.

·
Registered
16,554 Posts
Dennis, I can`t answer your question on the added expense over other vehicle tires...
I do read some good input as to why though...
BUT, in my quest to get better milage from these tires I do buy I have talked to a bunch of folks and bought ME880s` AND I am trying a new riding technique; slowing down before I get to the stop sign and less throttle upon take off...
I can`t afford to change tires every 15,000 miles, (or less)... It`s just that simple!!!
Back in the `70s I had a good Eagle AT on my 750/4 that had MOST of the tread on the bottom of the tire and it wore well, being in Florida there ain`t a lot of mountain type curves and most of my riding was straight up, this tread worked well fer me...
GA roads are nearly mirrored to them FL roads and most of my riding is straight up, so I`m looking fer that Eagle AT by Goodyear!!!!

Merry Christmas HSN

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi Dennis,

I surely want to know which dealer you go to.
I am shopping for a new dealer and his prices are too high for me.

Let me know so I can go elsewhere.

Merry Christmas & happy New Year

·
Registered
622 Posts
simpleman77 said:
Well......... :lol:

Nope, not even gonna get started :shock: :shock: :D :wink:
Here's a ME880 Metzler at 10,000 miles on a Wing. On my Aero I would get around 15,000 miles on the ME880. And yes they both costs $200 installed and balanced at most stealerships.

CT 195/55/16 Dunlop DSST 3000 deliver to my door for $96 and mounted at my local Goodyear store for $17 (manager there rides!) with $8 of Dyanbeads for balancing.

Yeh I know I'm going to crash and burn using a CT on a motorcycle, but the 500 plus Darksiders on the gl1800riders.com forum are all going to burst into flames first!

Bruce

1 - 20 of 38 Posts