Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got my Shadow to the point where the starter turns, but the engine doesn't catch.

I've got 2 plugs currently, and two more on order. But I can't get the darned old plugs out of two of the wells. My Craftsman deep well socket is too large for the well the plug is in! Any suggestions?

On to the next.... I'm in need ot a left hand control unit. The one the bike came with has a gummed up blinker switch. Left blinker works (After I replaced the wriring to it due to the insulation being completely degraded). But the right blinker does not. No clicks from the blinker relay, nothing from the light. Brand new bulbs and blinkers all the way around.

I am also trying to search out effective ways to rebuild the carb. The bike sat for two years prior to me getting my hands on it. I'm almost one hundred percent on the carb being dirty or gummed up some how. I've got my Clymer manual, but it's a shade confusing to a guy who's only worked on cars before.

-Al

·
Registered
313 Posts
As far as the turn signal switch goes, don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Disassemble it and give it a good bath with contact cleaner. Mine was gummy when I bought the bike (so bad that I couldn't turn the signals off after a turn) and a spritzer of crc contact cleaner (available at any Napa Auto Parts) and I was back in business.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's definitely on the plan for this weekend. I'm worried because the switch goes over to the right, but there's no click, and no response from the switch as far as feel.

Of course, another worry with disassembly of the switch is that I might not be able to get it back together again! But if worst comes to worst, I'll simply live without turn signals.

·
Registered
368 Posts
As far as your spark plugs, Mother Honda offers a spark plug wrench/tool that works well. They are specific to certain models and run about ten or twelve bucks. A good tool to have on hand as you will probably use it several times over the years. Not sure what you are riding, but here is a picture of one that fits VT750 1997-2008.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Go to Autozone, get an 18mm deepwell socket and some rough sandpaper (40/80 grit). sand the top 1 and 1/4 inch down on the socket (will take some time) then it'll fit in the hole. Voila instant rear sparkplug socket without the wait! :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I've found a tool kit, complete with spark plug removal socket in it, that I've ordered online. Might as well have the real deal, since I'll be working on this bike for a few years, right?

For those who missed it earlier, I've got a 1984 VT700C Shadow. I've learned a fair bit about the bike doing research for parts (Besides the fact that it's darned hard to get any parts for it these days!). Turns out the 1984 700 is really a 750, but Honda under-rated the engine size so they could get around a tax law change in 1984. Anything over 700 was taxed more heavily, so they called the 1984 model a 700 to sell it a bit cheaper here in the US.

As for the left control unit, Broughy, you said you disassembled yours before. How much of a pain was that? I've taken apart control units on bikes before, and found them to have tiny ball bearings or springs in them with tight alignment specs that are difficult to repalign during re-assembly.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
For the sparkplugs look for 18mm Thin Wall deep sockets. 12 point sockets will be narrorer than 6 point.

On the switch, clean it and add some dielectric grease. Only need to replace if BROKEN or the little ball gets lost. Clean and lube the other switches while you are at it. Those ones on the right grip can get you stranded if dirty.

Get a manual or download one, on this site. The only real difference between fixing cars and bikes is size, the number of wheels and complexity. Cars are just bigger and more complex. Do a good carb cleaning, A/F adjustment and Sync. DO NOT seperate the carbs, unless you have to to repair something.

·
Registered
808 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Download the manual for your bike from the sticky, and be sure to thank KathyM for it.. It's a REAL, free Honda one in pdf format:D

There's quite a few guys here with those era Shadows, fill out your signature and occasionally put it in the subject line of your thread...it'll help on the speed/accuracy/been there done that, responses you get.

As stated, try to clean the turn signal switch. I've had alot of mine apart, but not in that area...not much help.

My standard deep well 18mm 3/8 drive 6pt socket fit in ALL of my bikes, despite MANY of folks on here not having one (that) fits? Surely they aren't trying a 5/8 spark plug socket in mistake??

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol, seems to be some controversy over the spark plug socket thing. I'll pull the other two plugs when the socket comes in the mail. today is going to be pulling the carbs and doing a major cleaning. The Life Cycle Honda shop down the road has an ultra-sonic cleaner they'll charge me only $5 to use and shake loose everything ont he inside of the carb. So I'll probably head out that way tomorrow with the carbs once I get them off the bike.

On the plus side, I got a bunch of hardware in the mail today. Bolts, side covers and specialty screws.

Still missing one screw though, well two, actually. The two that hold the rear light to the seat back frame. They're supposed to be these odd types of screws, but I can't find a shop that has them. I'd like to get the right kind and not simply pick up a screw at the local hardware store.

Thanks for the links on how to clean the carb. Printing it out now to use!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.