Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought my first bike this week and I went ahead and change the oil and the spark plugs. Well I was changing the plugs and I got the two outer ones done and then I got to the two that are closer to the center of the engine and I can't get my socket to fit down in there. I checked to make sure I was using the correct socket and it is. It looks like the outside of the socket is just too fat to fit. What do I do about this? Is there a special wrench I need to buy?

Sorry I know this is a rediculous question because it is probably a simple answer but I'm new.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
one came with my tool kit. looks cheap but works. I do have one I think is Snap on in the garage.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Not sure what model Shadow you have, but check to see if it still has the tool kit. It's usually under one of the side covers, in a small soft plastic container. It should have a spark plug tool in it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
get a cheap plug socket and grind it down to the size needed but not too thin. Have a boat that I had to do this on as the plugs to cylinder head clearance was minimal. Just a cheap backyard idea.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I use every tool in my tool kit that came with the bike. Spark plug socket included. I have a full set of snap on tools in my box but the kit that came with the bike has everything you need right there. Sure is looks cheap but it works. Whats in a name?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought the bike used. It has a small plastic bag with an alan key and some weird looking screwdriver but no socket wrench for a spark plug. My honda quad has one and it fit perfectly but it is too short. it falls all the way down and I have to used needle nose to get it out.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I use every tool in my tool kit that came with the bike. Spark plug socket included. I have a full set of snap on tools in my box but the kit that came with the bike has everything you need right there. Sure is looks cheap but it works. Whats in a name?

This.

I took a 12 point (thinner) 18mm socket and ground the upper edge round so it would fit, than I took the rubber cushon out of a real spark plug socket and stuffed it in the new one. Works great and holds the spark plug on the way back up.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
+1 If you don't have the kit to carry, it would be a very good idea.
The whole kit is $21 The spark plug socket is thin because there is very little clearance. It's exactly the right length and does a excellent job. Grind a thin wall cheap socket for torque. It really shouldn't take much force to remove a properly installed spark plug that was torqued to spec. There are way too many heads that get ruined by stripped spark plug threads because they were over-tightened.
1983 Honda VT750C Shadow Parts, 1983 Honda VT750C Shadow OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts