Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I sold my VLX last week to a young guy that was thrilled to get it. He just got his Ohio motorcycle temps and was going to practice riding in the parking lot near where he lived.

I replaced the VLX with an 2012 NC700X adventure bike with 8400 miles on it..It weighs about 450 lbs is a fuel injected, water cooled inline twin with a 6 speed transmission. It is unusual for a Honda because it has a longer stroke than bore diameter which moves torque down in the rpm range. The fuel tank is under the seat and the cylinders are angled low so that what looks like the fuel tank is a storage compartment that is big enough for a helmet.

The previous owner had put engine guards, skid plate, radiator guard and hand guards on it. He replaced the original muffler with a Danmoto carbon fiber muffler. It came with the stock muffler in blister wrap as well. I didn't care for the sound of the new muffler and put the stock muffler back on. It had Continental street tires on it and he began to explain about types of 80-20 and 50-50 tires that I could get depending on how much I wanted to ride it off road. I rode dirt bikes a lot when I was younger but I told him that my off road days are now in the rear view mirror. From the looks of the bike, he never took it off road either.

The weather finally improved and I was able to go for my first good ride on it yesterday. I live in Columbus, Oh and set out to see my brother and his wife who live near Akron.

It is a little over a 200 mile round trip. My choices were I71 which is 2 hours of boring superslab or SR3 instead. SR3 is mostly good road through beautiful farm country with some hilly areas. Along the journey is Sunbury, Centerburg, Mt. Vernon, Loudenville and Wooster plus 5 smaller communities. It is a way more scenic and relaxed route.

It was cool enough when I left that I just grabbed a pair of heavy leather gloves out of the closet and my throttle hand started cramping after about 40 miles. The smooth gloves that I chose forced me to have to squeeze the throttle too hard. It didn't help that I have a little arthritis and managed to break a few knuckles over the past 72 years. I stopped in Mt. Vernon at a Honda shop along the main drag and bought a throttle lock. Problem solved. Without the gloves, cramping on the way home wasn't a problem.

I missed the usual petroleum smell from oil wells north of Mt Vernon that I remembered from previous trips up SR3. What took it's place was the smell of manure that the farmers had spread on the fields for most of the trip. I also encountered my first swarms of bugs. I thought that it was too early in the season for bugs. My half, face shield was covered with bugs when I got to Akron. They were bigger than gnats and they stung when they hit my chin or lips. Maybe it had to do with bugs hatching out of the manure, not a pleasant thought. I didn't need lunch after snacking on so many bugs.

I did encounter a low flying ultralight airplane flying parallel to me for a couple of miles. We waved at each other. I wished that I was him. That was a first for me.

I am 6' 2" tall and the short windshield will need to be replaced with something taller. I felt like I was speaking into a leaf blower at times.

The posted speed limit for much of the trip is 55 mph and I tried to maintain 60 mph for those parts. The engine seems to be happy when I kept it between 3,000 and 4,000 rpm which meant 5th gear on a couple of longer hills but top gear for most of the way. This is my first fuel injected bike and I like the easy start and linear throttle response whether the engine is hot or cold.

I got 69 mpg on my first tank. It was a little awkward refuelling with the fuel filler nozzle under the raised seat but you probably develop a technique for that.

I am 72 and am usually in pain (butt burn) after a 2 hour ride but the riding position and the stock seat are pretty good. I was ready to take a break but not in pain when I arrived.

All in all, a good visit and a great ride on a beautiful day. I think that the NC and I am really going to get along well together.

I will be checking in from time to time but will probably spend a little more time on the NC website now to learn about this new, to me, steed..

Ride safe.
07 VLX.JPG NC700X right.jpg

·
Registered
2006 Shadow Aero 750
32 Posts
Hello All

I sold my VLX last week to a young guy that was thrilled to get it. He just got his Ohio motorcycle temps and was going to practice riding in the parking lot near where he lived.

I replaced the VLX with an 2012 NC700X adventure bike with 8400 miles on it..It weighs about 450 lbs is a fuel injected, water cooled inline twin with a 6 speed transmission. It is unusual for a Honda because it has a longer stroke than bore diameter which moves torque down in the rpm range. The fuel tank is under the seat and the cylinders are angled low so that what looks like the fuel tank is a storage compartment that is big enough for a helmet.

The previous owner had put engine guards, skid plate, radiator guard and hand guards on it. He replaced the original muffler with a Danmoto carbon fiber muffler. It came with the stock muffler in blister wrap as well. I didn't care for the sound of the new muffler and put the stock muffler back on. It had Continental street tires on it and he began to explain about types of 80-20 and 50-50 tires that I could get depending on how much I wanted to ride it off road. I rode dirt bikes a lot when I was younger but I told him that my off road days are now in the rear view mirror. From the looks of the bike, he never took it off road either.

The weather finally improved and I was able to go for my first good ride on it yesterday. I live in Columbus, Oh and set out to see my brother and his wife who live near Akron.

It is a little over a 200 mile round trip. My choices were I71 which is 2 hours of boring superslab or SR3 instead. SR3 is mostly good road through beautiful farm country with some hilly areas. Along the journey is Sunbury, Centerburg, Mt. Vernon, Loudenville and Wooster plus 5 smaller communities. It is a way more scenic and relaxed route.

It was cool enough when I left that I just grabbed a pair of heavy leather gloves out of the closet and my throttle hand started cramping after about 40 miles. The smooth gloves that I chose forced me to have to squeeze the throttle too hard. It didn't help that I have a little arthritis and managed to break a few knuckles over the past 72 years. I stopped in Mt. Vernon at a Honda shop along the main drag and bought a throttle lock. Problem solved. Without the gloves, cramping on the way home wasn't a problem.

I missed the usual petroleum smell from oil wells north of Mt Vernon that I remembered from previous trips up SR3. What took it's place was the smell of manure that the farmers had spread on the fields for most of the trip. I also encountered my first swarms of bugs. I thought that it was too early in the season for bugs. My half, face shield was covered with bugs when I got to Akron. They were bigger than gnats and they stung when they hit my chin or lips. Maybe it had to do with bugs hatching out of the manure, not a pleasant thought. I didn't need lunch after snacking on so many bugs.

I did encounter a low flying ultralight airplane flying parallel to me for a couple of miles. We waved at each other. I wished that I was him. That was a first for me.

I am 6' 2" tall and the short windshield will need to be replaced with something taller. I felt like I was speaking into a leaf blower at times.

The posted speed limit for much of the trip is 55 mph and I tried to maintain 60 mph for those parts. The engine seems to be happy when I kept it between 3,000 and 4,000 rpm which meant 5th gear on a couple of longer hills but top gear for most of the way. This is my first fuel injected bike and I like the easy start and linear throttle response whether the engine is hot or cold.

I got 69 mpg on my first tank. It was a little awkward refuelling with the fuel filler nozzle under the raised seat but you probably develop a technique for that.

I am 72 and am usually in pain (butt burn) after a 2 hour ride but the riding position and the stock seat are pretty good. I was ready to take a break but not in pain when I arrived.

All in all, a good visit and a great ride on a beautiful day. I think that the NC and I am really going to get along well together.

I will be checking in from time to time but will probably spend a little more time on the NC website now to learn about this new, to me, steed..

Ride safe.
View attachment 293551 View attachment 293552
Nice bike....good luck

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
After my first ride on an adventure style bike I was sold. Cruisers are nice to look at, but I'll take an upright riding ADV bike any day of the week now. Let's see: More comfortable.... check. Better throttle response... check. Better mileage.... check. Throttle locks are nice, but check out "cramp busters" "throttle rocker" and similar. They take a little getting used to but really come in handy in more urban areas where a throttle lock is practical.
Thanks for the thread and look forward to reading more about your rides in that area.

Reactions: kesanders

·
Registered
1997 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
31 Posts
RJ - Cool new bike and enjoyed reading about your first long ride on it.
Bet the guy in the ultralight was wishing he could swap rides too!

Thanks again for sharing your riding experience and enjoy getting acquainted with your NC - Kevin

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,566 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike!
It sounds like a perfect choice for you.
Make sure you do check in from time to time and let us know how it is going, you can't get away that easy.

·
Premium Member
8,786 Posts
Came SO close to getting that NC the day I bought my Aero. It’s was a real nail-biter to which I would leave the store with. Now, I’m happy that I had bought that Aero that day. Lots of great riding for a cruiser like that around here. But I think the NC700X would have been better suited for the back roads hereabouts.

Adventure bikes.. they open up ...the options :0) .. And that particular bike I have seen kitted-out to the extreme to handle just about anything a dusty road could throw at a bike. So, seems like many think it has excellent bones for rougher roads. ...Always thought it would make a good urban commuter too. That storage compartment! :0)

Anyways... Hope you are happy with it! Best of luck, and have some fun!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Huh, Recon, that's the Honda version of Kaw's Versys 650, even the wheels look the same. though the rest looks pretty sharp!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Came SO close to getting that NC the day I bought my Aero. It’s was a real nail-biter to which I would leave the store with. Now, I’m happy that I had bought that Aero that day. Lots of great riding for a cruiser like that around here. But I think the NC700X would have been better suited for the back roads hereabouts.

Adventure bikes.. they open up ...the options :0) .. And that particular bike I have seen kitted-out to the extreme to handle just about anything a dusty road could throw at a bike. So, seems like many think it has excellent bones for rougher roads. ...Always thought it would make a good urban commuter too. That storage compartment! :0)

Anyways... Hope you are happy with it! Best of luck, and have some fun!
I had both a 600 VLX and a 750 Spirit. I liked both bikes but I as I got a little older, back problems restricted my riding some. Hitting bumps in the feet forward riding position didn't agree with me. When you encounter a bump you more or less just have to take it. On a standard bike like the NC, the footpegs are under you and you can stand on the pegs or at least lift up some to let your legs absorb some of the jolt.

Hopefully, the NC will let me keep riding for a while yet. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,801 Posts
I looked at that bike a few years ago at the Honda dealer. They have auto DCT transmission available. I think that at least is a nice option if you start having wrist or hand issues so it won't end someones ability to ride. That storage under the tank was odd but it is pretty big and convenient. Nice bike. Congrats

·
Premium Member
8,786 Posts
I had both a 600 VLX and a 750 Spirit. I liked both bikes but I as I got a little older, back problems restricted my riding some. Hitting bumps in the feet forward riding position didn't agree with me. When you encounter a bump you more or less just have to take it. On a standard bike like the NC, the footpegs are under you and you can stand on the pegs or at least lift up some to let your legs absorb some of the jolt.

Hopefully, the NC will let me keep riding for a while yet. Time will tell.
Well, here’s hoping so.

...I bought a Tiger XCX a while-back, and I really do like that seating position. For soaking-up the bumps the additional suspension really helps too! On-road it’s like floating around on a really-quick cloud!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts