Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted some thoughts on the idea of my son getting a bike. He has not really expressed a wish for one but then I have not encourage him. I would feel guilty/responsible if he got one and crashed. Once I rode 2 up with him and he said he felt awful riding, but he is 6'8'' tall! 270 lbs. He sat on the bike once in driver seat and couldn't turn the bars since his legs were in the way. Easy enough to solve i guess with "forwards", bigger bike? Anyway, when you love something like riding as much as I do, you want to share that enthusiasm with a loved one. He is saving his money for a car, and I thought he would have enough now for a used bike and save on gas. Any thoughts?

maurice

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I would talk to him about it, If this is his first car saving gas will be the last thing on his agenda, Going out with friends or picking up a date would be more what he has in mind. I know how you feel though, want to share such a great past time with him. I would ask him if he would want that and see if he has interest. He might not have a interest at this time, But he may come around eventually and want to ride with his Dad. Also if that is his only means of transportation he may be stuck if there is bad weather.

Dauntae

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would bring it up but if he has no interest right now might not matter would not push it maybe he will change his mind later.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
A few things to consider:

Enthusiasm is often contagious, but some people are just not ever going to be interested in the things that we are. The only thing you get out of trying to make someone enthusiastic about riding is a bad rider. No offense to your son at all, but if you're heart isn't in the game, your mind won't be either, and that's where accidents come from.

Getting a bike isn't going to save money. specially if that bike has to accommodate someone over 6 feet tall. They use less fuel, yes, but add the higher cost of parts, tires, maintenance, etc,m and a bike costs more per mile to ride than an average car does. (Sorry to burst any bubbles out there.)

If you sone expresses an interest to ride later, then be right there with him. Heck, take the riders course with him. But let your son bring it up. he is the only one who really knows what he wants to do.

--Justin

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
A few things to consider:

Enthusiasm is often contagious, but some people are just not ever going to be interested in the things that we are. The only thing you get out of trying to make someone enthusiastic about riding is a bad rider. No offense to your son at all, but if you're heart isn't in the game, your mind won't be either, and that's where accidents come from.

Getting a bike isn't going to save money. specially if that bike has to accommodate someone over 6 feet tall. They use less fuel, yes, but add the higher cost of parts, tires, maintenance, etc,m and a bike costs more per mile to ride than an average car does. (Sorry to burst any bubbles out there.)

If you sone expresses an interest to ride later, then be right there with him. Heck, take the riders course with him. But let your son bring it up. he is the only one who really knows what he wants to do.

--Justin
^This.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
If he hasn't expressed a desire for a bike, why push him? I never encouraged my son to start riding until he informed that he was interested. A year later, he was on a bike.

BTW - I disagree with Tubes in that owning a bike over a car can indeed save you money IF you use it mainly for transportation. We are a 1 car family and I use my bike for my main source of transportation and I save on gas and insuarance and were not lazy and changed my own oil, I would save on that. I'd probably save even more money if I used a car tire on the rear tire (ain't happening).
However - if you use the bike for weekend warrior riding and long trips - all bets are off.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Maby if dad were to find an inexpensive steed to keep in the stable and offer its use rather than riding the pillion he may decide that he likes it.
I got my son and daughter into riding (I have been riding since I was 17 so they grew up with it.) I and my children are willing to take the risk to do something we love. There is just as much risk (in my opinion) driving a car. I havepersonaly known several people that died young in cars and 1 85 year old man that died in a bike accident. I am sure that he would not have given up his years of pursuing his love for riding to have lived a couple more years.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with most posts, just let it go right now and be there if he expressed more interest. Some time ago he did say " I would need a bigger bike to accamodate my height" but that was it.
I disagree with the poster saying cars are cheaper to operate than the shadow.
Thanks for the input!

maurice

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
I disagree with the poster saying cars are cheaper to operate than the shadow.
You may disagree with me, but that won't follow the facts.

Men, a word of warning before reading the following: Don't show this your wives. Keep telling them that you need your bike because it saves money. Don't read farther if you want to have plausible deniability later on.

I'll use my own bike and my own car as examples.

Bike: 1986 Shadow 700
Car: 2002 Honda Civix LX

Fuel price: $3.15/gallon

Bike gets 50 MPG. Car gets 32 MPG.
Per 1000 miles, that's $63 for the bike, $98.44 for my car

By bike get 16,000 miles per front tire at $90 per tire. 8,000 per rear tire at $110 per tire. My car's tires cost $80 each, and last 60,000 miles. Mounting free.

That's $31.31 per 1000 miles for the bike and $5.33 per 1000 miles for my car.

My car's owner's manual says that my car can go 8,000 per oil change. (I run it 25,000, but that's another thread entirely.) An oil change is $25 at the Quick Lube. That's $3.13 per 1000 miles.

My bike's manual says that it can go 8,000 miles per oil change, but around 4,000 the shifting gets clunky, so I change it. The local bike shop charges $60 for a lube service. That's $15 per 1000 miles.

My car's service interval is 30,000 miles and each service averages $400.

My bike's averaged service interval is 8,000 miles and averages $300. That's $37 per 1000 miles.

You have to have car insurance because everyone owns a car and drives it at least one day every 6 months, so you have to have it. The cost of this is not included because it's a given.

Bike insurance is $75 a year, and an average of 5,000 miles per year puts the cost at $15 per 1000 miles.

The grand total per 1000 miles is:

Bike: $161.81
Car: $120.22

Car wins.

--Justin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts