Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, hear me out (literally, LOL). I am new to riding this year. My hearing is not the best even prior to riding and I want to protect my ears as much as possible while riding. When I cut the grass or go to loud concerts. I wear specific ear plugs for each.

I have been wearing ear plugs (sometimes, on long rides) while riding my 07 Sabre 1100 (stock pipes), but when I DONT wear them, the wind noise does seem to give me some hearing fatigue.

I always were a full face helmet (speed and strength SS2100). Its a nice helmet, but is not rated that high for Noise.

I realize I have some options, wear ear plugs and invest in a higher noise rated helmet, but, what I am curious about is
has anyone found or came up with a way to add some sort of padded material to the inner of the helmet that reduces the noise without wearing ear plugs?

One thing I hate about the plugs is that if I want to engage in conversation with someone not wearing a helmet, its hard and cumbersome taking off the helmet and plugs (oh, my glasses first) ;) I know, the struggle is real! LOL

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,269 Posts
I run one of the noisier helmets on the market which is the AGV K3 SV, I ride every single time with Hearos plugs, don’t personally find it too difficult to talk to someone for a minute or two with them in/helmet on, but I could see it being an issue for others, I’ve got remarkably good hearing for how reckless I was early in life.

The area around the neck and how well it seals has a huge impact on wind noise, have you considered looking into one of the “noise canceling” helmet designs offered by Shoei or Arai? Spendy, but they get excellent reviews.

Reactions: kezug

·
Registered
05 Sabre 1100
214 Posts
Prob not going to help during summer heat but what about a helmet/neck gator for fall and spring...give ya time to figure out the best plan.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Does you helmet have air vents??
Mine does, with little window vents on the outside shell that can be opened or closed.
I was riding in cold weather once and could feel cold air coming thru those "closed" vents.
So when I felt that cold air I stopped pull out the helmet liner which revealed the vent holes in the Styrofoam.
I stuck some extra foamy ear plugs into the vent holes on the inside of the helmet. o_O
To my surprise, not only was the cold air gone, but about 90% of the "wind" noise. :eek:
So, know that those "vents" could BE the source of your noise.
No vents, nevermind :oops:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does you helmet have air vents??
Mine does, with little window vents on the outside shell that can be opened or closed.
I was riding in cold weather once and could feel cold air coming thru those "closed" vents.
So when I felt that cold air I stopped pull out the helmet liner which revealed the vent holes in the Styrofoam.
I stuck some extra foamy ear plugs into the vent holes on the inside of the helmet. o_O
To my surprise, not only was the cold air gone, but about 90% of the "wind" noise. :eek:
So, know that those "vents" could BE the source of your noise.
No vents, nevermind :oops:
I will definitely have to look into that possibility.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I run one of the noisier helmets on the market which is the AGV K3 SV, I ride every single time with Hearos plugs, don’t personally find it too difficult to talk to someone for a minute or two with them in/helmet on, but I could see it being an issue for others, I’ve got remarkably good hearing for how reckless I was early in life.

The area around the neck and how well it seals has a huge impact on wind noise, have you considered looking into one of the “noise canceling” helmet designs offered by Shoei or Arai? Spendy, but they get excellent reviews.

I may be researching and saving up for one of those 2 or something rated as good too.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Sorry, but I'm really not answering your question, but just stating my experience:

I had a helmet once that had removable pads over the ear pockets...Didn't do much.
Not only that, but if you replace your current helmet, and you'll need to do that eventually, or have a couple of different helmets you use, you're going to have to come up with a solution for each of them.
Earplugs are still the least expensive, most effective, and easiest solution I've found. They work with all helmets.

Ya just gotta remember to put them in.

I keeps a pair and a spare in my riding jacket pocket. I use Etymotic ETY musicians earplugs because they are easy to use and reusable.
My spares are good ol' foam plugs...dirt cheap and effective, but not as easy as the other ones.

Reactions: kezug

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok, hear me out (literally, LOL). I am new to riding this year. My hearing is not the best even prior to riding and I want to protect my ears as much as possible while riding. When I cut the grass or go to loud concerts. I wear specific ear plugs for each.

I have been wearing ear plugs (sometimes, on long rides) while riding my 07 Sabre 1100 (stock pipes), but when I DONT wear them, the wind noise does seem to give me some hearing fatigue.

I always were a full face helmet (speed and strength SS2100). Its a nice helmet, but is not rated that high for Noise.

I realize I have some options, wear ear plugs and invest in a higher noise rated helmet, but, what I am curious about is
has anyone found or came up with a way to add some sort of padded material to the inner of the helmet that reduces the noise without wearing ear plugs?

One thing I hate about the plugs is that if I want to engage in conversation with someone not wearing a helmet, its hard and cumbersome taking off the helmet and plugs (oh, my glasses first) ;) I know, the struggle is real! LOL

I use the clay-like silicone squishy slightly sticky plugs that you just press into and around your ear. They don't go into the ear canal. I find them to be effective and they do not irritate. You can buy them on line or often at CVS.
They come in a plastic box of about 12. You can use each pair several times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts