Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently pulled my engine for some good old fashioned rebuild (Nothin but fun :) ) and of course for some professional grade polishing ;)

But during my tear down I ran into a snag, there is a tube the spark plug goes down that I need to remove, on my shop manual, all it states is use special tool X then a part number.

Now I know it is just a hex, but does anyone know what size it is? I have a local shop that sells allen (hex) bits up to 120 mm. I just cant figure out what the size is.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After searching for page after page after page on google, I found a picture of the tool aka fort tube holder

its a two sided rachet bit, where one side is 24mm and the other is 27mm now to figure out which one is right, Ill probably end up buying both >.<

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Can't recall the size, but it's not really tight (usually) so it won't take much to remove it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I removed mine by jamming the nylon handle of a screw driver into the shaft....spark plug removed of course. I put a vise grip on the handle and applied force inward while turning. I did end up buying the K&N puller tool. I just measured mine....27mm across the flats.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well after searching local fab shops and even tools stores, it seems it is just cheaper to but the honda part...

24 mm hex key - $27
24 mm hex socket - $38
27 mm hex key - $33
27 mm hex socket - $45

Honda part - $24

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
A little late but, how about the hex head of a bolt??? Or even a nut, half way inside spark plug tube and (other half) in appropriate size socket...

Nut/Bolt need not be exact size, close (under of course) will work. These are maybe 10ft lb. torque.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I got it out with the screwdriver handle, but I bought the tool anyway for when I reinstall it.

Man polishing all my non black aluminum to chrome sure is fun, but time consuming.

All that is left is the cylinder head fins, handlebar holding plate, lower area of front forks, and wheel rims :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yea I got it out with the screwdriver handle, but I bought the tool anyway for when I reinstall it.

Man polishing all my non black aluminum to chrome sure is fun, but time consuming.

All that is left is the cylinder head fins, handlebar holding plate, lower area of front forks, and wheel rims :)
Are you going to clear coat all that newly polished aluminum?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.