Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 honda shadow ace 750. 53,000. I changed my spark plugs and when I fired up my bike and it starts without any issue. I was letting it warm up and I have oil leaking from around the filter. I changed the oil three months ago and have put 1500 miles on it. Just got back from a long trip with no leak. I am thinking it has to be with the spark plugs. I hand tighten them with the spark plug tool and a flat head. I read somewhere about vacuum pressure holding the filter on tight. I tried to tighten the filter but it is on tight. I would say too tight but i never had a leak before. Any ideas?
If I wanted my bike to leak oil I would have bought a Harley!:D

·
Registered
486 Posts
The leak has nothing to do with your plug change or vacuum. The gasket on the filter has slipped or gotten deformed. Get a new filter and carefully check the surface it seats on for burrs. Do not overtighten the filter or the gasket will squeeze out and leak oil. Just screw it on hand tight - the gasket will expand and seal when it gets soaked in oil and is heated by the engine.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,336 Posts
My idea would be to clean off the area so you can see the source of the leak and start and watch where it comes from.
It may not be the filter at all . But spark plugs would have nothing to do with an oil leak unless you jacked up the bike at the same time and bent the filter ?????

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I read this thread and now my head hurts. Should i see a podiatrist?

In all seriousness... when you fix something on your bike and something else happens, its never related. Kind of like getting a new tank of gas and that causing a flat tire. It never causes a flat tire but can lead to you getting completely lost in the middle of the tank full.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,336 Posts
Yah, I get it now.
You have a headache- and go for some aspirin, but stub your toe, and now the headache is a past issue --right???
But maybe your headache caused the toe pain.
Podiatrist here I come.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
LOL, no. One thing has nothing to do with the other two which have nothing to do with each other.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
so you are going to have to drain the oil first.

When you remove the filter look very closely at the part where it screws in, use a mirror if you have to, it is not uncommon to crack the case if you tighten the filter too much or if the jack bends the filter against it.

Oops sorry swifty, I didn't read your post.

John.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,017 Posts
Not sure about your model and year but on many bikes the oil pressure sensor is located near the filter and they sometimes leak. You might want to narrow down where exactly the oil is coming from rather than guessing.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I dont understand why you would jack a bike up to replace the plugs since they are on top of the motor.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
We used to have a mechanic at our shop that would jack up the whole vehicle and put it on jack stands to change a tailight bulb. Guess he didn't like bending over.:what:

·
Registered
546 Posts
when i change oil i just flip the bike over like a bicycle, really easy to get the drain bolt and filter off, difficult to get the oil to drain though..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I changed the oil filter and checked underneath. I didn't see anything bent. So I changed the filter and now it is good. I jacked the bike up because I changed the tires aswell. I have never bent the oil filter before so thanks for all the help. I have friends that have the cheapo jack lifts and have dropped there bikes off them. The wood blocks usually works pretty well. thanks again

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
^^ Ok see? You left a very important part out. It wasnt the spark plugs it was the tire change that ruined the oil filter. But please dont start a thread saying you changed your tires and now you have an oil leak.

Hope the filter swap fixed the issue!

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,336 Posts
Just a word of caution too=
Always check that the old oil filter gasket comes off and you don't double gasket the new one.
I saw it happen on a few cars and sometimes they drive off for a distance till it blows all the oil out and ruins the engine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.