Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear this occasionly, its not the fuel tank I dont think, its been re padded, and tightened up already.

It almost sounds like an electrical arcing near the triple tree.

ideas?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
possible I guess?
3300 miles... could it need it already?

the way the noise comes and goes though, it seems like a random arc and not a grind or noise liek that..

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
Do you have a windshield? It could be a cable vibrating against it at certain speeds.

If not, maybe a loose wire or cable around the headlight, neck covers or tripletrees???

CB

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Do you notice it all the time or what?

The VLX's have been know for the front brake pads to buzz pretty loud.

It's just the pads scuffing past the holes in the rotors...

When does your buzzing happen? Does it increase or decrease with engine speed? Road speed?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No windshield on the bike.

I havent been able to pair it with any certain condition, just randomly does it.

Ill pay more attention to it and see if I can equate it with a certain speede or condition.

thanks guys, maybe im not just hearing things.

litnin said:
Do you notice it all the time or what?

The VLX's have been know for the front brake pads to buzz pretty loud.

It's just the pads scuffing past the holes in the rotors...

When does your buzzing happen? Does it increase or decrease with engine speed? Road speed?
:D :D

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
OzarkJeep said:
thanks guys, maybe im not just hearing things.
Hey that happens, especially on multi-day rides, you start hearing things in the engine tire noises that you 'thought' were not there before.

Drove me to distraction on the first couple of trips.....Then I got earplugs....problem solved.

Anyway another suggestion - that has worked for me. When you start 'hearing things' again, and the conditions are safe, take your left hand and start feeling around what you believe to be the source of the noise, you may find it - that is how I found a speedo buzz, and a headlight vibration.

·
Registered
871 Posts
When I first got my Sabre I could here a similar noise coming from the front. One day while in town on a side street I killed the engine and let it coast and was able to determine where the noise was coming from. It was my front brake making the noise. When I bought the bike it hadn't been ridden for several months and after I rode it several hundred miles the noise went away. I guess it was the front pads making noise on the rotor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My VLX front brakes make a fuzzy noise. I changed the pads (because they were worn out) and there was no change in the noise.

I consider it a harmless idiosyncrasy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.