Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is for all you fellow guitar players out there:

NOBODY can rock out like Hendrix - even to this day. Imagine stepping in a time machine and going back to 1967 at Monterey and seeing this concert in person! 8) (The only other person I know of who can wear a pink feather boa and look cool, is Christopher! LOL... :D )

Hendrix was virtually unknown in 1966 and hooked up with Chas Chandler (ex-Animals bass player / record producer / manager). Chas Chandler introduced Jimi Hendrix to Eric Clapton and Cream, who were doing a show in London that night. And as legend has it, Hendrix plugged into a spare input jack on Jack Bruce's bass amp, and launched into "Killing Floor" and Cream followed along. It was so incredible and unbelievable, because, as you all remember back then, "Clapton is God"... Clapton was THE #1 guitar player around. Clapton was so good, The Beatles even had him play the solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". Anyway, as the legendary story goes, Hendrix literally blew Clapton right off the stage!

Chas Chandler quickly put Hendrix together Noel Redding (bass) and Mitch Mitchell (drums) and named them the Jimi Hendrix Experience. They rehearsed and played a show in London soon after everyone heard of Hendrix, and all the top players were there in the audience - The Beatles, Clapton, Pete Townsend, Jeff Beck, and a ton of other artists. Long story short... Hendrix went from an unknown guitar player to world wide fame in just a few short months.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
**** fockin' yeah! hendrix never gets tired.

the great thing about this performance was how Jimi and Pete townsend bickered (friendly) about who would go last. Townshend finally said "look we're not gonna follow you and that's it." Jimi replied to the likes of " well if I am going on last, i'm pulling out ALL THE STOPS!" and he sure as **** did.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's right... If memory is right, it was Paul McCartney who was able to get Jimi Hendrix on the concert bill at Monterey, and all the way up there in the top billing right with The Who.

Anyway, I like the quote from Neil Young on a VH1 interview on TV: "There is nobody in the same field, on the same level, as Hendrix". He's right... Even to this day, there is nobody that can do what Hendrix did. He was a true original and by using massive volume, feedback, etc... he took the electric guitar into areas that it has never been before. 8)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yeah I agree.

i've heard this story a few times too.. (from Wikipedia)
The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album had just been released on June 1 and two Beatles (Paul McCartney and George Harrison) were in attendance, along with a roll call of other UK rock stardom, including: Brian Epstein, Eric Clapton, Spencer Davis, Jack Bruce, and pop singer Lulu. Hendrix opened the show with his own rendering of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", rehearsed only minutes before taking the stage, much to McCartney's astonishment and delight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts