Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 VT750 Shadow Spirit
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a spot that looks to be on the inside of the glass and not the speedo face. Should I try to take it apart to clean it or just leave it alone? Third pic is from last summer with no spot.

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
409 Posts
There is a spot that looks to be on the inside of the glass and not the speedo face. Should I try to take it apart to clean it or just leave it alone? Third pic is from last summer with no spot.
I would leave it alone unless its really bothering you.
If that trip mileage is from single trips, good going - nice long rides.

·
Registered
Shadow VT700c 1986, ST1300 08
165 Posts
Unless you have plenty of time on your hands just leave it alone.
You won't know what can of worms you will be opening just for a little spot.
If one of these days you need to open it to replace/upgrade the bulbs then you can do both jobs at once.

·
Registered
2001 VT750 Shadow Spirit
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless you have plenty of time on your hands just leave it alone.
You won't know what can of worms you will be opening just for a little spot.
If one of these days you need to open it to replace/upgrade the bulbs then you can do both jobs at once.
For the time being I will leave it.

·
Registered
2001 VT750 Shadow Spirit
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did stop by a honda dealer and the service person looked at it and said it was oxidation from water getting inside. He said i'd have to take it apart and carefully scrape the glass with a blade to clean it. Hmmm don't know if I totally buy that being that I've never seen water in the speedo.

·
Registered
Shadow VT700c 1986, ST1300 08
165 Posts
If you ride in the rain, or even a very thorough wash, water can enter the speedo and deposit at the bottom. This will create condensation and as moist is trapped inside it it will affect any weak spot you may have.
If there is a small spec of metal attached to the glass, for whatever reason, then it will oxidase.
The cleaning process is very easy and straightforward however, as you said, you will have to take it apart.
The cleaning can be with a sharp blade, the same used for cleaning windows in construction or use a kitchen scrub pad. The brass one not the steel.
This will either remove the oxidation and the metal particle completely or the brass will cover the oxidising metal. A bit like chrome.

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
409 Posts
I read about a similar issue not too long ago where a rider did open up his speedo He did clean it and he did a good job of detailing the process. You might want to read it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts