Honda Shadow Forums banner

Speedometer illumination

9K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Big B 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I know this has been addressed in other posts but I am excited about my results. Seems that a lot of Honda models lack sufficient illumination of the speedometer. During a recent front end tear down, I took an extra few minutes and less than $2 and replaced the illumination bulb. The factory bulb was a 3.4 watt bulb. I upgraded to a 4.6 watt bulb with the same dimensions. Perfect fit and I can actually see the numbers at night! I have ridden several times now and everything works just fine.

#12 · (Edited)
#4 ·
This is high on my to-do list.
I can just barely see my speed when riding at night. I can't read the trip odometer at all.

Is there a plug-n-play bulb available say, at the local radio shack, or is it something I have to order online?

#7 ·
I like the idea of a brighter bulb. Currently the right side of my speedo does not light up. It quit working the same day I replaced the speedo cable. Thought there might be a loose ground somewhere, but haven't found it yet. Maybe the right side bulbs both blew? Might open it up and look one day.

#8 ·
I wasn't smart enough to get before and after pics. With the old bulb I couldn't make out anything but the total milage. Now I can see the needle and all the numbers. If it ever burns out I may try the newer LED lights but for a couple of bucks for the bulb i bought, I am very happy. I bought the bulb while I was at the parts store on another errand and I installed it when I had the speedometer off the bike. So very little effort and minimal cost and a great result. Who could ask for more?

Hey "Aced It", great looking ride.

#14 ·
Super bright LEDs is the way to go in the long run. They are really cheap on Ebay if you just gett he ones with the wire leads.
The beauty is you can pick and choose what color you want for the illumination. You can see quite well, on some speedos if you get a blacklight LED and it won't create ANY glare.

#15 ·
You guys are lucky, your bikes use the 194( common bulb). My bike uses a smaller based bulb, like half the width of a 194. I bought some LED bulbs for my truck and in the box I found 6 of the exact fit LEDs for my instrument panel and gauges, all free:mrgreen: Nice and bright.
The only thing not LED on the bike is my headlight bulbs, which will be HID soon.

Ray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.