Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was riding my shadow the other day and I noticed that when I passed by one of those side-of-the-road speed reader things I noted that the speedometer was reading 5 mph lower than the speed reading device. I am already going to be taking it apart to attempt to repair my odometer and I wanted to replace the internal light cause it's really dim. While I am in there is there an adjustment to fix this?

I am also going to be replacing the bearing and lining the axles on both wheels. Should I consider replacing the speedometer cable and gear while I am in there?

Can anyone point me at any videos or tutorials involving speedometer repair?

Thanks in advance for any input?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The speedometer is functioning normally all Honda bikes seem to be around 5 to 10% optimistic.
The occurs with cable operated or electronic speedometers.
AFAIK there is no fix in the meter itself and the odometer is usually closer to accurate.
I have heard rumors that Honda does this for legal reasons, as it seems to affect most bikes that seems plausible.

At this point with my bike I find myself not worrying about the inaccuracy too much. If the speedometer says I'm 10 mph over it's probably 5 mph over, that won't buy a ticket around here.

Some Shadow speedometers have replaceable bulbs, newer ones I gather are LEDs and not replaceable.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
...auto and motorcycle speedos are factory calibrated to read 2 to 4 mph faster than you are going. Think of the lawsuits if they didn't do that...
Mother
Your speedo should indicate 5 mph higher not lower.
Mother

·
Registered
366 Posts
That's interesting. I don't really look down much but it's a good thing to know.
Also keep in mind that the roadside speed/ radar setups are placed there to act as a deterrent. Where I live, they are pretty common and in my experience display your speed a little higher than actual. I agree with @mother that if you do a timed mile and check your speedo with the mile time you will likely find that your speedo is 5-10% high compared with elapsed time. Use a highway that has mile markers and hold your speed steady. If you ride two-up have your passenger run the stopwatch.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The GPS phone apps are also pretty good for checking the actual speed.
Just don't be gawking at it at the wrong time.

If you rig a mount to the handlebars it can make a good pretty accurate speedometer replacement.
You can also get apps that monitor other performance such as acceleration etc., if you are so inclined.
I have an older spare phone that I bring along so that all is not lost if my "high tech instrumentation" decides to go flying off the bars, I still have my work phone in my pocket.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Why are you replacing the wheel bearings?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Ramie
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing