Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Question for you. I started my bike today and first noticed my neutral indicator light was not on, and yes, it was in neutral :) I started down the driveway and noticed my odometer (digital) was blank and my speedometer was not registering my movement. My odometer was on when I started the bike. I checked my trip meter to see if I needed gas. It wasn't but a few moments later that the odometer was offline. Any input appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,569 Posts
First thing I always check when dealing with electrical problems, does it have power and does it have ground. That will immediately tell you whether its a problem internally with the component or an external issue such as a blown fuse or bad ground.

·
Registered
1983 VT500C, 1985 parts VT700C
577 Posts
If it's both its usually a fuse...it'll usually be the last fuse you check ;)
But it also might be one of the wires...squirrels/etc love wires...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's both its usually a fuse...it'll usually be the last fuse you check ;)
But it also might be one of the wires...squirrels/etc love wires...
It was just that, a fuse. Replaced it and all was well for a bit, then that fuse blew. So I guess it's doing it's job. My guess is I have a short and some exposed wire making an inappropriate ground or a nearly fractured wire making some contact, sometimes. Does that seem reasonable?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yep, reasonable.
Here's where you get a $10 multimeter and learn about the OHMS setting ;)
Watch a few Utube vids, or grab an old Navy AE from the neighborhood...

·
Registered
577 Posts
The other option is to trace all the wires going from that fuse physically by sight
until you find the problem...but a multimeter finds it way faster.

Reactions: CSRoad
1 - 6 of 6 Posts