Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Shadow A.c.e. 750. Riding it a day ago, notced the speedo wasn't working. after a brief smoke stop ( after about 30 miles) when I started her back up, the speedo began working and worked fine all the way home. Today it is not working again. any ideas? everything appears to be tight. thanks!

·
Registered
711 Posts
There's always at least one little plastic gear in the speedometer/cable/pickup assembly. Chances are, the problem is related to it. Only real way to tell what's wrong is to start taking things apart.

If you do, watch out, honda likes to use pot-metal on the speedometer housing; if anything breaks, it's pretty much a "replace the entire assembly" deal, and they're not terribly cheap.

That's been my experience with my VLX, I don't know if any of it applies to the 750 ACE.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This was on my old bike, don't know if it relates to the Shadow but there's two main culprits, one is the speed sensor gear box that's attached to the wheel that spins as the wheel spins, that was defective on mine and two from what I've heard is the cable spins too and in turn spins the speedometer, usually that goes bad so check those two.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts