Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on the shiffting point for each gear on this bike must be a joke. If I shift into 5th based on the books suggestion, I will choke this thing out. I cant even hit 5th gear till about 45 to ensure for no chugging. Is this about corect. thanks

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
trjam said:
Based on the shiffting point for each gear on this bike must be a joke. If I shift into 5th based on the books suggestion, I will choke this thing out. I cant even hit 5th gear till about 45 to ensure for no chugging. Is this about corect. thanks
The book is in error...I don't know what the engineers were smoking...but the recommended shift points are off...particularly on the top gears. The absolute best thing to do is use your own experimenting to determine when to shift. It sounds like you are well on your way to figuring it out.

One thing I will say about the Spirit 1100 though...it has a lot broader range than you think. You can go up to 50-55mph in 1st gear. So don't be afraid to open it up if the feeling hits you.

Joe

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, didnt take me to long to figure it out. also just what is the hole saw procedure, or a link to it and is it worth it, stay with stock pipes, or get something else. Would like to stay away from rejetting.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I won't even shift to 5th until I'm running about 60. Maybe 55 on level ground. I read that in the owners manual also when the bike was new. I got a good laugh out of it. Really, just as has been the case with all previos motorcycles or manual transmission cars, you quickly get a fell for where it ought to shift. Remember that is is better to run a few more rpm than to lug the engine.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sonny, I live on Bass Lane with 4 generations of Bass families living around me, any relation to you. :shock:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Spirit_1100 said:
The book is in error...I don't know what the engineers were smoking...but the recommended shift points are off...particularly on the top gears.
I agree the book is in error, but I do not believe it is merely a typo. Otherwise, it would have been corrected by now. Each year they seem to republish it, so there's some rationale behind the recommendation. What that may be, I can't imagine.

I think Joe's original recommendation is the best -- find what you're comfortable with, but don't be afraid to wind it out a little.

I love to open it up in 2nd ... and dropping to 3rd to pass is pure joy :)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I posted the same topic when I first got my book. My spirit really wants to go to 45+ before third and I rarely hit 5th in the city. I think someone like mark C or Litnin wrote a thread about how we tend to shift to early in the rpm range and after trying it out, I find the bike shifts smoother. Feel around and you will find the bike seems much more refined when you find that right rpm to change at. I am changing to a Speedo with a tach so will be able to tell you what that number is, but I have always used feel over indicated..

·
Registered
932 Posts
I agree with all those saying the Owner's manual is way off on the shift points. I was concerned when I first got my bike because the engine was lugging badly when I tried to shift at those points in the manual.

Based on what I have studied of the gearing on the 1100 Spirit, the miles per hour is approximately as shown per gear:

RPM 1000 2000 2500 3000 3500 4000
Gear
1st -- 7 -- 14 -- 17.5 -- 21 -- 24.5 -- 28 mph
2nd - 11.5 - 23 - 29 - 34.5 - 40.5 -- 46 mph
3rd -- 15.5 - 31 - 39 - 46.5 - 54.5 -- 62 mph
4th -- 18 -- 36 -- 45 -- 54 --- 63 --- 72 mph
5th -- 21 -- 42 -- 53 -- 63 --- 78 --- 84 mph

So when I'm going slow, I shift around 2500 rpm or at 18, 30, 40 and then 45

For moderate driving, I shift around 3000-3500 rpm or at 21, 40, 50, and then 60 into fifth gear.

For aggressive driving, I rarely have a need to go over 4000 rpm, but do as the occasion demands. :wink:

Remember our speedometers are also optimistic by around 10% as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Reading all this, makes me wish even more that my sabre had a tach....lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
trjam said:
Sonny, I live on Bass Lane with 4 generations of Bass families living around me, any relation to you. :shock:
No I'm not related. "Sonny" is my name and bassfishing is my passion--ergo "sonnybass".

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well saltwater is my game and I have some buddies who live on Edisto Island and we go out as often as I can. Will keep you in mind this summer for a ride down their if you are game. That is of course my 1100 can keep up. :?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
razzer said:
Reading all this, makes me wish even more that my sabre had a tach....lol
The Spirit doesn't have a tach on it either, those that have them were added by the owner.
MarkC

·
Registered
31 Posts
trjam

I've just started this past year sahltwater fishing for redfish and trout (actually anything that'll bite) in Florida and Beaufort, SC. I love fishing out of my kayak for the redfish but don't think "sonnyredfish" hass the same ring to it. Trip to Edisto sounds like a possibility. Keep in touch.

I'm sure you won't have any problems "keeping up". Remember, they're called "cruisers for a reason. Cruisin' is about syling and profiling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts