Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the decond time the bike would not start, I never ned to choke it just hit the start button and she srats right up, today I hit the button and it locked up, no start but I did notice lots of fuel on the ground, looks like its coming out of my over flow tube???? is this a carb problem, bikes a 07

·
Registered
29 Posts
Based on your description, I would say that while your bike is not running, fuel is leaking from the tank through the carbs. Part of the gas is then going through the overflow tube, but some is also going into the engine cylinder. Since liquid is not compressible, when you go to start the bike, the piston can't travel due to the gas that is trapped in there. You need to find out why the gas is leaking out of the tank when not running and fix it, but in the meantime, if you shut off your petcock every time you shut the bike off, that should prevent gas from leaking out of the tank.

·
Registered
302 Posts
That sounds right, especially with the lockup. If you do find that to be the problem, make sure you do an immediate oil and filter change. That much fuel in the combustion chamber is bound to lead to some fuel in the crankcase oil and that is murder on bearings.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If you never have to choke it, it begs the question, "Are the floats to high making it run rich and it has gotten worse making it overflow?"

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that I think of it, it happened once before when I filled up my tank , now its very hot here in florida, could the fuel be expending and running into the carbs then overflowing??????

·
Registered
302 Posts
It shouldn't do that if the carbs are healthy. The needle and seat should cut off the flow when the float reaches its upper level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts