Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a set of saddlebags for my '01 Spirit 1100. Does anyone have any suggestions for a manufacturer or style that I can use that won't sit on the pipes on the right, and won't make me move the turn signals? Also, does anybody make the qwick-detaching brackets that'll fit without moving the signals? Enquiring minds would like to know... :?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I tried to find a set of bags the would fit my Spirit 1100 without relocating the rear turn signals, but I had no luck. Possibly you might be able to find a very small set of leather bag that will drape over the rear seat between the turn signal and the driver's seat. I ended up going with the Leatherlyke hard bags. They came with a turn signal relocating kit included. A bit pricy, but I liked the fact that they lock. On the down side, they do tend to bounce alot as they're mounted on rubber grommets. In addition, the finish doesn't seem to last very long if they're exposed to the sun for any extended period of time. Mine started to turn a gray color. I keep a coat or Armoral on them but they tend to feel sticky when they get dusty.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I also ended up with Leatherlykes after experimenting with a couple others. The bottom line is that, if you want your bags to hold anything meaningful, you've got to move the turn signals. There are a couple of different kits/brackets out there and, with the rewiring, only takes about 30-45 minutes.

Honda just didn't design the Spirit 1100 with much space between the top of the rear fender and the top of the exhaust. 11 1/2" tall bags are about the extent of it. :cry:

As for the Leatherlykes, they're worth every penny. Look decent, don't leak and hold about as much as you can get on a Spirit 1100. :D

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
My bags on my '04 Spirit 11 are Tourmaster fake leather hatbox style slant bags. They are small, 11" long x 9" high x 6" deep approx.
I can put at best a gallon of milk in one or a half helmet if it's small. They do work well for possibles, extra gloves, tire plug kit, leather shirt, etc.

They are yoke bags and when I had them mounted under the rear seat with the stock saddlebag guards they did get to close to the pipes when I put some weight in them.

After I put on aftermarket saddlebag guards the problem was very rare.

Since I cut off the yoke and permanently attached the bags to the guards they don't come near the pipe at all. I mounted them so I have about
1 1/2" clearence.

The turn signals in the stock location just touched the bag and did scuff the bag a little. My new HD signals don't touch at all.

Here's an old pic with the stock lights, and one of the dif between the stock and aftermarket saddlebag guards.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got mine from the Honda dealer. They had quite a selection of small bags. I didn't have to relocate the turn signals and they are a good 2 inches above the pipes. Price was about $120 ... two years old now and holding up very well. They have quick release snaps and they are invaluable on trips .... I really didn't think I wanted bags on my bike but now I like em. Wish I could tell you what they are but there's nothing written or embossed on the bags ... but the dealer had a lot of other ones that would have fit just as well.

I've found that my dealer prices accessories at just about the aftermaket prices I see on the Internet ... Naturally the Internet has a lot of stuff that the dealer doesn't but I got my engine guards, light bar, wind shield, and sissy bar from the dealer at very competitive prices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.