Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago, I removed all of the smog stuff- this is a CA bike.
The shop manual shows 3 ports on each carb- there are only two. One bowl vent and one vacuum source on each carb.
I plugged the vacuum ports, easy to tell which ones as they were sucking air until plugged.
The ones left must be the bowl vents.
I have the bowl vents Teed together and open to the atmosphere. Are bowl vents supposed to be open or plugged. I had them plugged and it was missing under WOT. As if gas was not getting in.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I take it your talking about a Spirit 1100? If so they don't really have bowl vents.
They have two vents per carburetor, they total two sets.
The carburetors have a plastic tee that joins the two carburetors together (top of carbs), the nipple coming off from that tee has a line that runs down the back of the engine, along the frame and vents behind the left side engine case.

The other two vents (one on each carb) also vent from the upper part of the carburetors, these lines runs to a small plastic box that has a tiny piece of foam in the under side of it. This little box and the foam is called the "Sub-Filter". The sub-filter doesn't connect to anything else.

If these vents get plugged or clogged what would happen is the needle pistions diaphragm wouldn't work right.

Three ports on each carburetor,
Two Vents,
One fuel inlet,

Non CA model
MarkC

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
The CA model has a bunch of goofy ports on the bottom of the carbs. One pair is vacuum sources. Other pair is bowl vents, I think. There was a round carbon canister under the radiator, and several vacuum switches stuffed in there too.

Geez, I wish I had drawn detailed sketches of this mess! I relied on a copy of factory manual, which is not accurately detailed enough to retrace my steps!

Digital cameras are good at documenting "before" shots too.

Live and learn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts