Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody. Nice forum with lots of knowledgeable people. I'm retired and have been tinkering with motorcycles lately. I am currently looking for a Shadow Spirit. I think they are real nice looking and I prefer the cruiser style of bike compared to sportbikes. In the meanwhile, I will read this forum regularly to help me get up to speed on the Shadows.

-Ken

·
Registered
666 Posts
Welcome to the twilight zone, now tell us about that tinkering. Would be a interesting read especially if pictures are included.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, here's what I have been tinkering on:

I bought this 1981 CB750 Custom a year ago for a winter project. Cost was $300 and it supposedly had a transmission problem. The PO thought it had a broken gear. After getting it home, I didn't even try to start it. Pulled the engine and put it in the basement and when winter came I split the cases to see what was up. I couldn't find a thing wrong and apparently the act of splitting the cases un-jammed the tranny. Anyway I learned about a shifter mod for these bikes that helps prevent future jams so I did that and then re-assemled the cranckase along with new bottom end oil seals. I also set valve clearances and thoroughly cleaned the carbs. I installed a new drive chain and replaced the fork seals and wipes. I installed a new AGM battery too. I repainted the swingarm and other misc frame pieces while it was apart but the tank didn't need paint. The bike only had 9,332 miles on it so all in all it is in pretty nice shape. The bike had a Vetter Winjammer V with lowers on it when I got it so I think that helped protect the tank and other parts. I decided to take the fairing off so had to scrounge up a headlight, mounting ears, and turn signals. I wasn't happy with the condition of the chrome on the headlight bucket that I got so I had it re-chromed and I think that was the most expensive part of the whole rebuild!

Anyway, now it starts and runs real good so I couldn't be happier about that. I have put about 200 miles on it and it seems to be very reliable. I will probably sell it next spring because I am more of a mechanic than a rider and would like to find a Shadow Spirit for my next project.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
welcome

1 - 5 of 5 Posts