Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I haven't been on here for a while. I sold my VLX in the spring of 2009. I recently bought an 03 Spirit 750 DC.

It is a nice bike but a little busy above 60 mph. I have read several posts here about dropping the rear sprocket to 38 teeth. I changed out my chain and sprockets today. I installed a 17 front and 38 rear and went for a drive of about 100 miles. This is a much better setup for me. I know that performance sells motorcycles so Honda gears their bikes a little on the low side to improve the acceleration. The bike is much calmer now at 60 mph and above. Another plus is that the taller gearing spreads the gears out a little bit more. The bike still has plenty of power in the speed ranges that I ride and it is really smooth in top gear at 50 mph. I would expect that the mileage should improve a bit which would be great considering the gas tank size.

By the way, I have a $79 Harbor Freight hoist in my garage and was trying to figure some kind of stand to support the bike while the rear wheel was off the bike. I bought a 2" x 10" x 8' and cut it into the pieces shown in the sketch. Sorry if the sketch isn't the greatest but it is Windows Paint and not a CAD program. The 13" wide notch just fits the frame rails and the 11" notch is for clearance for stuff hanging below the frame rails. The exhaust clears it just fine. I placed it at the back of the frame right where the steel frame tube is welded to the cast member. It is very stable and worked out great. The wheel was about 6” off the ground. I think that I could put the stand at the front of the frame to service the front wheel too.

Ride safe!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Mine gets crappy Mileage at Fast Highway speeds (75+) and I do believe the 38 tooth sprocket would cure that also.It will let you know if you try and over rev it though when the Rev Limiter kicks in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.