Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Okay now, go easy on me for this simple question please.
I read and know there's several of you here who own more than one motorcycle. Some have both the Shadow and Harley Sportster or have owned both in the past.
Can you give me a few of the pros and cons comparing to two please....

Riding in the past couple weeks for the first time in 35 years I've put about 300 miles on my bike and I love my new to me 06 Spirit with the Cobra pipes but there's that Sportster thing that's still haunting me. Never been on a Harley in my life other than setting on a few at a used dealership.
Friend at work took my Honda for a ride this week and said " Damn, that's so much better than dads Sportster both in handling and ride."

Just for fun last night in the wee hours I visited a couple HD web sites just to read and it's much different than here. Looks like more riding and fun here while those boys seem to be doing a lot of trouble shooting and work over there...
More questions being asked about " what's wrong with my bike "
Not flaming anyone or bike hyping... Just trying to learn a few things after being gone 35 years.
Thanks !
Sportys are a breed of their own, even the modern ones..Crazy People ride Sportys.. Big twin riders are jealous of the way they out handle those fat hogs and out rev and out muscle those over sized jugs of theirs .
Sporty riders are loveable but villainous ner'do wells that can coax a lass out of her lingerie with a mere smile.
Are you a Sporty rider? That is what you need to ask yourself? Should someone holler..GIRLS BIKE your way will you take offense or will you smile to yourself and say, yeah watch this girls bikes ass, because that's all you ever see.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Sportsters are notoriously top heavy and therefore not so nimble.

I never had trouble riding one aggressively which I did a lot more of back when I owned them. I think the notion they are top heavy has more to do with feel than reality. But then I only owned seven of them, the older ones might be the best argument for top heavy, but anything after 84 is pretty much a nice nimble little package for decent money.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Oh my. The stars must be aligned as CD and I are in agreement! :lol: Re the girls bike comment - since finishing the Stage 1 upgrade a week ago, I just smile, downshift and wave bye!

I think the newer ones are still a little top heavy (at least I tell myself this everytime I see a soft tail I want), but not overly so. I mean, I am by no means a seasoned, experienced rider and I have no problems handling my 2011 1200C.

For reference, I went from owning a couple of 750 ACEs to my current Sporty. Comparing a stock 750 ACE to a stock 1200 Custom, the HD is faster, more comfortable and sexier. Of course, I'm old and overweight, so that kind of nullifies the later attribute.

Oh, and all those posts on HD forums about problems? Few things to consider, first, mostly big twins, sportys are very reliable; second, more HDs on the road riden by RUBs (ok, this is over simplified) who take their garage queen to the dealer for everything. Third, well, I don't know, make something up.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Now if everyone agreed all the time there would never be any flame wars and without flame wars people like Phil, and Spiritman would be out of a job..you wouldn't want that would you? and besides MikeB would be lonely.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
I agree that there is really no comparison. Don't line up with a decent Sporty...they'll whoop your Shadows ass if its a 750. Even the lackluster 883 has better power than the 750 Spirit.
I've owned 2 Sporties in my time, and both were great bikes. I had loads of fun on my 79, my first Harley. It wasn't comfortable, it wasn't personable, it was tempermental, but it was brash and rude and took years off my life. The Spirit 750 feels like a massively underpowered Heritage Softail to me by comparison. Its fairly cushy, handles smoothly, and coddles the rider more. The Shadows rear suspension has the same harshness that a Softail has, and the bike feels larger and heavier than it is, despite the light steering and handling.
I loved my Sporty the way you love that good-natured buddy who always slugs you in the arm too hard and always wants to wrestle or brawl. I love the Shadow like the quiet friend who always has his nose in a book and leaves everybody alone, but who would still have your back.
And that folks is what a Sportster is Brash..rude..Shadows are mistresses.. Sporty's are bitches..the ones that just might kill ya simply because you looked at them the wrong way. They are the boy or girlfriend that excite and scare you at the same time.. the ones that not only could but will get you arrested...Ride On!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.