Honda Shadow Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hmm road an older sportster(88) YEAR AND HATED it. Took my honda back switched another buddy with a 11 year and it's felt the same as my ace. Yea there's a lot different but felt ahome. Until 30miles goes by and I was in pain from the butt down. Only thing I can tell you is go on a demo day and ride one.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Sportys are a breed of their own, even the modern ones..Crazy People ride Sportys.. Big twin riders are jealous of the way they out handle those fat hogs and out rev and out muscle those over sized jugs of theirs .
Sporty riders are loveable but villainous ner'do wells that can coax a lass out of her lingerie with a mere smile.
Are you a Sporty rider? That is what you need to ask yourself? Should someone holler..GIRLS BIKE your way will you take offense or will you smile to yourself and say, yeah watch this girls bikes ass, because that's all you ever see.
Oh my. The stars must be aligned as CD and I are in agreement! :lol: Re the girls bike comment - since finishing the Stage 1 upgrade a week ago, I just smile, downshift and wave bye!

I never had trouble riding one aggressively which I did a lot more of back when I owned them. I think the notion they are top heavy has more to do with feel than reality. But then I only owned seven of them, the older ones might be the best argument for top heavy, but anything after 84 is pretty much a nice nimble little package for decent money.
I think the newer ones are still a little top heavy (at least I tell myself this everytime I see a soft tail I want), but not overly so. I mean, I am by no means a seasoned, experienced rider and I have no problems handling my 2011 1200C.

For reference, I went from owning a couple of 750 ACEs to my current Sporty. Comparing a stock 750 ACE to a stock 1200 Custom, the HD is faster, more comfortable and sexier. Of course, I'm old and overweight, so that kind of nullifies the later attribute.

Oh, and all those posts on HD forums about problems? Few things to consider, first, mostly big twins, sportys are very reliable; second, more HDs on the road riden by RUBs (ok, this is over simplified) who take their garage queen to the dealer for everything. Third, well, I don't know, make something up.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Oh my. The stars must be aligned as CD and I are in agreement! :lol: Re the girls bike comment - since finishing the Stage 1 upgrade a week ago, I just smile, downshift and wave bye!

I think the newer ones are still a little top heavy (at least I tell myself this everytime I see a soft tail I want), but not overly so. I mean, I am by no means a seasoned, experienced rider and I have no problems handling my 2011 1200C.

For reference, I went from owning a couple of 750 ACEs to my current Sporty. Comparing a stock 750 ACE to a stock 1200 Custom, the HD is faster, more comfortable and sexier. Of course, I'm old and overweight, so that kind of nullifies the later attribute.

Oh, and all those posts on HD forums about problems? Few things to consider, first, mostly big twins, sportys are very reliable; second, more HDs on the road riden by RUBs (ok, this is over simplified) who take their garage queen to the dealer for everything. Third, well, I don't know, make something up.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Now if everyone agreed all the time there would never be any flame wars and without flame wars people like Phil, and Spiritman would be out of a job..you wouldn't want that would you? and besides MikeB would be lonely.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Now if everyone agreed all the time there would never be any flame wars and without flame wars people like Phil, and Spiritman would be out of a job..you wouldn't want that would you? and besides MikeB would be lonely.
Well, I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for putting Phil and Spiritman out of work, nor making MikeB lonely.

And, if you say me on a Sportster is a babe magnet, who am I to argue? :lol:

·
Read Only
2,714 Posts
Used to have a Sporty, and like the ride of my Spirit 750 WAY better, though the Sporty had more power, being a slightly 'bigger' bike. Still, I sold my Sporty, but kept my Spirit. That alone should say it all. Now, an Indian Scout is a whole other ball of wax! That thing handles similar to the Sporty, being a bit top-heavy, but has even MORE power, and is even more comfortable than my Spirit, IMO. However, I think, if I were to get any Indian bike, it would have to be the Vintage, though twice the $. That bike was almost as nimble and handled as well as the Scout, but with that 111" motor, it was even better, smoother riding, and all around better. Not to mention that it looks SWEET!!!

·
Registered
955 Posts
I bought my 750 Spirit a couple of seasons ago.
I would ride it over to my dad's a couple of times a week and let him ride it.
He used to ride back in the day but life got in the way and then he found other interests and his bikes got sold in the early 80's.

Riding my Shadow sparked on old flame in my dad and he started tinkering with the idea of buying a Sporster last summer!
He had always wanted one but never allowed himself to have it. After some prodding, he found an 883. After a little negotiation, a deal was struck and he rode it home with me following along in his truck.

When I would go over for visits, he would offer to let me ride his bike. He enjoyed just sitting and listening to it as I rumbled away. I'm telling you, his bike sounds MENACING. I didn't long for me to realize that I liked his bike better then mine, and I LIKED MINE A LOT. My bike handled well, but his handled better, IMHO it was much more nimble and responsive.

So... I just traded my 750 Spirit for a Sportster 1200 Custom.

Ride the Spirit for a while and enjoy her, and then if that itch is still there later, scratch it!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i wish they would have tried to do more with the rs. like something comparable to the ducati and triumph scramblers. they already had a couple of concepts for it.
a scrambler or retro styled cafe racer look of sorts would have been awesome to see from the shadow line up and really easy to achieve.

But Honestly, my next bike is going to be a newer Honda CRF250L, I checked them out in person this past weekend and fell in love. Decent price for the size and type of bike, enough power as they're pretty light, the road ready dash and light setup, and the off road capability. I love my street bob, but I want a bike I can take down the gravel roads at speed, take on some trails, still be able to drive on road, not worry about dropping it and not worry about getting it filthy all the time. I'd probably end up riding in the rain a lot more. My little brother recently got a Yamaha WR400 and I'm pretty jealous of his curb hopping and off road abilities.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,318 Posts
I don't know where you got that 430lbs but the internet says that it weighs 505lbs dry and I could only find one spec for 98 that was 498lbs and all the other posts said all years 750's were over 500lbs.
97' 750 Ace, 542 lbs. wet and 04' 750 Aero 553 lbs. wet.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Sportys are a breed of their own, even the modern ones..Crazy People ride Sportys.. Big twin riders are jealous of the way they out handle those fat hogs and out rev and out muscle those over sized jugs of theirs .
Sporty riders are loveable but villainous ner'do wells that can coax a lass out of her lingerie with a mere smile.
Are you a Sporty rider? That is what you need to ask yourself? Should someone holler..GIRLS BIKE your way will you take offense or will you smile to yourself and say, yeah watch this girls bikes ass, because that's all you ever see.
Ummmmm Yeah that's pretty much it.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Sportsters are notoriously top heavy and therefore not so nimble.
Having had both VT1100s and the Sporty.... I would say the Sporty handles a lot better slow and fast.... Maybe it's the fatty on the front Maybe it's the way it's set up. It's a more visceral ride. Muscular... There might be top heavy Sportsters but the Custom isn't one of them. You cannot just sit on one, you have to test ride it..... That ride will answer a lot of questions.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Having had both VT1100s and the Sporty.... I would say the Sporty handles a lot better slow and fast.... Maybe it's the fatty on the front Maybe it's the way it's set up. It's a more visceral ride. Muscular... There might be top heavy Sportsters but the Custom isn't one of them. You cannot just sit on one, you have to test ride it..... That ride will answer a lot of questions.
That is by design. They are designed for very low rolling resistance to make them easier to push. :mrgreen:

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.