Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Cool bike! Kinda sounds like Blu with the idle dropped down
I personally think that the "Harley sound" is overrated. To me they sound like they are struggling to stay alive at idle and that doesnt give me confidence in its ability to get from A to B. Obviously they do but that struggling sound has always bothered me. Id turn the idle up

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Is yours a twin carb?
If so you can move more air with your stock 34mm carbs than a 40mm sporty carb will give you.
It might make some sense if you have a single carb VT600 and hog out the manifold to match, but only if you swap in the earlier camshafts.

The sound you hear is from unmuffled or nearly unmuffled exhausts with the idle cranked down low, maybe 600 rpm.
Idling that low is not good due to the decrease in oil flow IIRC Honda specs 1000 rpm + or - 100.
A slow idle like that has also killed more than a few Evo Harleys too, Shovel heads would tolerate it and people wanted that sound.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe it really is the slow idle that makes it sound like that..my sportster sounded like that only when i started it cold without choke..but it's not that slow galloping sound that im after..i just want to get a good rumbling sound without sounding like an empty thin can.but then again i just want to keep my 400 steed economical as i use it everyday for work and commuting so guess im not going to mod the exhaust any time soon..so for now i'll just sit here ,ask for opinions ,experiences and learn from the pros ..this is my first honda shadow/steed and im glad i found this forum :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts