Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94 Shadow 1100. Put away in fall, changed all fluids, refilled gas tank with fresh gas with Sta-bil. Have battery tender and once a month put it on battery. Also put in new fuel filter, and drained carbs.
I read some where on this forum about priming the carbs before starting as the fuel pump only runs a short time and won't fill carb bowls. Guess my question is has anyone tried filling the carb bowls by putting gas into the bowls by forcing gas into the bowls by pushing the through the drain ports. As I understand it, the bowls only hold about a once of gas. My thought was to put gas in a syringe, with a plastic hose attached to the drain port and push gas into the bowls that way. After I push an once or so into the bowl close the drain screw. Guess more than any thing I looking to not run my starter any longer than I have to to get it to fire.
Any thoughts would be appericated.
Thank You, Frank Grimes

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Sounds to me like you did everything correctly, just fire it up in the spring it will start.

It may take some cranking to get it to go, just don't let the start work to long on a single attempt. Several attempts it will pick up and run. The fuel pump puts out something like a pint every 10 seconds.

After rejetting, everyting was dry and mine started it just took some extra cranking before it fired.

But if you are dead-set on filling the bowls you can jumper the connector to the fuel pump relay so it will run continuously with ignition on (the procedure is in the service manual to assist with fuel flow testing).

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Yeah, just put the jumper on the fuel pump relay. That's the safe way.

Gasoline will dissolve a syringe before your very eyes! Go ahead, ask me how I know! :oops:

--Justin

·
Registered
865 Posts
Maybe not really necessary, but you might want to pull the plug wires and crank the engine long enough to circulate oil through the engine before you crank it up. Also, depending how fussy you want to get you could pull the plugs and give the cylinders just a little spray of lube. But me, I would probably just turn the gas on and crank it up.

·
Registered
865 Posts
mark v said:
What about cycling the ignition on and off?
I'm not sure what you mean.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
mark v said:
Turning the ignition switch on and off several times to help prime the fuel pump and bleed the air out.

If that would work there would be no reason to jumper the fuel pump connector to do a fuel delivery test, but I am not sure what fires the pump - and keeps it running. Good question though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
maybe you use the jumper when testing the system so it runs longer so you can measure fuel supply rate. I think the key on/off will work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts