Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This fall, because of a lack of space, I opted to buy a winter storage package from my local Honda dealer for my 1985 Shadow VT700C. In the spring they are supposed to change the oil, air the tires, check all the lights and controls and take it for a test drive.

Now the last time I was there I saw a flyer promoting their "Spring Tune-up". For $212 they will adjust the valves, check the spark plugs, change oil and filter, check air filter and oil if necessary, check steering head bearings, check suspension, synchronize carburetors, check idle speed, check fuel line, grease and lube as necessary, change differential fluid, adjust clutch, check tire pressure, check spokes, check battery, check cooling system, check brakes, check controls and lights, check headlight aim and check fasteners.

Now, I know that some of the maintenance items I can do myself. But do you think that it would be worth that amount of money for just a valve adjustment, clutch adjustment and synchronizing the carburetors?

What do you think?[/img] :?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would put the clutch adjustment in the same category as the easy stuff. Did you ever adjust the brakes one a mountain bike? Same concept, adjuster nut on each end of the cable...major adjustments made at the bottom, fine tuning at the top.

I have never adjusted valves on anything, so I might be tempted to pay for that...but when I got mine checked at my 600 mile service the dealer had to have the bike in their possession for 48 hours before they'd touch it, to be sure it was dead cold. Overkill, but that was the only way they'd do it. Ask your service department that question before you commit the bike to their care.

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
I think $212 is a fair price. Plus the bike is already there so you wouldn't be down any riding time. Seeing as ya spent all that $$$$ for the space, I'd have them go ahead and do it.

However, all those maintenance items are fairly easy (I never did have to check the valves) and you could save the $212 by doing it yourself.....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Camaron32 said:
This fall, because of a lack of space, I opted to buy a winter storage package from my local Honda dealer for my 1985 Shadow VT700C.
Now, I know that some of the maintenance items I can do myself. But do you think that it would be worth that amount of money for just a valve adjustment, clutch adjustment and synchronizing the carburetors?

What do you think?[/img] :?
Both your valve lifters and clutch are hydraulic and therefore non adjustable. If you feel comfortable that they will in fact perform all those other items as stated then it's probably worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts