Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an 2005 Shadow Spirit 750. I have read that many riders change sprockets. Can someone explain to me why. Also we ride two up on this bike a lot in steep mountains, and freeways for some kinda long rides I guess. I know the sprocket changes can give quicker starts, and or better gas mileages, depends on what you do. I would like better mileage as long as low gear will pull us up hills. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
If you do a search on here about changing sprockets a bunch will come up. Some guys change the rear to less teeth to get taller gearing and less rpm at freeway speed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you ride two up in the mountains I would probably not change your rear sprocket significantly. You will lose some grunt going into first gear and you will really need to lay on the throttle or downshift more frequently as well, especially going up the big hills. I replaced my spirit rear with a 38t and it cruises better at lower RPM's. I did change the clutch springs which was helped a lot, but it lost a lot of pep off the line. With the extra weight of two-up I wouldn't do it

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
^^^ ... Yup.. Upgrading a sprocket with more or less teeth is definitely a robbing Peter to pay Paul kinda-thing.. If you live in the mountains and riding two up?? ..If you can get up that hill with no issues right now. I might stay with your original setup.

·
Premium Member
7,220 Posts
I've riden in the mountains and I ride with a 38 tooth rear sprocket. Riden with around 300 or more pounds on the bike when on a road trip and had no issues. Perhaps going up a huge incline I would have to ride in 4th but thats no big deal. I'd never go back to stock and would not go lower than a 38 tooth. The highway riding is also way better at higher speeds as the rpm's aren't as high.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I've ridden mine through the mountains in West Virginia just fine with a 38t and lots of gear.

·
Super Moderator
6,530 Posts
I'd never go back to stock and would not go lower than a 38 tooth. The highway riding is also way better at higher speeds as the rpm's aren't as high.
I've got the 37 tooth sprocket on my 750ACE but here in Michigan, it's pretty flat, other than an occasional hill. Like you, I wouldn't go back to the stock set-up either.

On the 750ACE, first gear is so low that with the stock sprocket, the engine winds out too fast and you have to quickly shift out of first gear. With the smaller rear sprocket, the engines powerband moves to a more effective and useable range allowing you to wind out the lower gears further. It actually feels like you're riding a bigger bike.

Phil

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Front - stay with stock. There's not much room in there. You can go smaller, but not worth it. Much easier & more options to change the rear.

Rear - Smaller = lower RPMs at a given speed (but your INDICATED speed will also show lower than your actual) and slightly better MPGs. Larger = slower speed, but more leverage when going uphills and taking off with higher RPMs at highway speed.

Welcome in! I was out in Eureka this past summer & really enjoyed that town, especially The Local Beer Bar. Gotta get out there again, sometime!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If your speed is measured on the front wheel you will never have a change in "indicated speed" unless you change the diameter of your front tire. Changing gears in the driveline will not matter.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
If your speed is measured on the front wheel you will never have a change in "indicated speed" unless you change the diameter of your front tire. Changing gears in the driveline will not matter.
True...sort of. On your bike, maybe it is measured on the front wheel. On my bike ('05 Shadow Spirit 750), the speedometer is measuring the front sprocket. Changing my rear tire brought it from +6% to +2% according to our local speed limit radar sign.

But, I'm also not sure my speedometer and pickup is original. There does appear to be a place on my front wheel for a pickup, but nothing connected to it.

So....it might change, it might not. Mine did.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everyone was great with answers, thank you all. And all the bike pictures were beautiful. Thanks again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
howdy, hey phil, I liked the pic of the rd350. I rode the one that set the 1/4 mile record for that class in Idaho about that year. that was a really interesting machine.

ken

·
Premium Member
7,220 Posts
I've got the 37 tooth sprocket on my 750ACE but here in Michigan, it's pretty flat, other than an occasional hill. Like you, I wouldn't go back to the stock set-up either.

On the 750ACE, first gear is so low that with the stock sprocket, the engine winds out too fast and you have to quickly shift out of first gear. With the smaller rear sprocket, the engines powerband moves to a more effective and useable range allowing you to wind out the lower gears further. It actually feels like you're riding a bigger bike.

Phil
I have contemplated the 37 tooth but questioned how it may preform on those times with my wife on the back and with luggage. I thought that maybe it would be a little to much for that. If I was alone on the bike all the time I may consider it more.

·
Registered
18,126 Posts
Thank You all who are replying, I`m due for a sprocket & chain set...
I`ve been thinking on trying the smaller rear sprocket for this set...
IF for no other reason than > to say I have experienced it...
Chickenman is buying this set, for my changing his clutch good deed...

What effect on clutch will I experience???
Do I need stronger springs???

I like the details when y`all post...

I`m goin` outside!! can`t sit here all day:D

·
Premium Member
7,220 Posts
Thank You all who are replying, I`m due for a sprocket & chain set...
I`ve been thinking on trying the smaller rear sprocket for this set...
IF for no other reason than > to say I have experienced it...
Chickenman is buying this set, for my changing his clutch good deed...

What effect on clutch will I experience???
Do I need stronger springs???

I like the details when y`all post...

I`m goin` outside!! can`t sit here all day:D
I did not feel much change in the clutch other than you may need to let it out slightly slower on take off. I changed to the clutch springs to larger ones and found it to be no more stiff than before. It is recommended when changing the rear sprocket to upgrade the springs, and while your changing it you may as well do the 4 degree timing mod while you in there. Not a hard task if you can handle a dermal tool.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I agree with those who have no issue. Do the mod and learn to down shift when needed.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Same reason anybody changes the gear ratio in any vehicle. Performance reasons.

Gearing is nothing more than simple mechanical advantage. In my truck I went with a lower (numerically higher) gear ratio to make it easier for the engine to turn the larger and heavier tires. This returned it to a factory like final drive ratio. On a motorcycle it is common to swap to higher gear ratios to lower your engines RPM at highway speeds in your top gear to achieve better fuel mileage for long distance riding. I am lowering the gear ratio of my bike to get better acceleration and raise the RPM in my final gear so that the gear is actually useful and not lugging the engine at the highway speeds I run.

So if you're happy with the current gear ratio, there is no reason to change. I think depending on your riding style and what you expect out of the bike determines what gear ratio you should go with.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The 4*timing mod, bean box mod, and switching to a 38 tooth sprocket were some of the best and first things I did to my 06 Spirit. While the changes to the 18" rear wheel may have additional impacts in the ratio but, I have never had any problems riding 2 up in the mountains of Virginia/W. Virginia or solo through the Swiss/Italian/Austrian Alps on take off or up hills with the stock clutch springs. While I don't try to smoke the tires on take off, it is quick enough for a cruiser for those that are into that sort of thing. On the highway (autobahn) it cruises easily at 80mph and downshifting to 4th has enough pickup to pass when needed.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The 4*timing mod, bean box mod, and switching to a 38 tooth sprocket were some of the best and first things I did to my 06 Spirit. While the changes to the 18" rear wheel may have additional impacts in the ratio but, I have never had any problems riding 2 up in the mountains of Virginia/W. Virginia or solo through the Swiss/Italian/Austrian Alps on take off or up hills with the stock clutch springs. While I don't try to smoke the tires on take off, it is quick enough for a cruiser for those that are into that sort of thing. On the highway (autobahn) it cruises easily at 80mph and downshifting to 4th has enough pickup to pass when needed.
larger 18in rear wheel wont have much affect on the final drive ratio as long as the new tire is the same diameter as the old one. You probably went with a smaller aspect ratio I'm assuming?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts