Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 vlx 600 that I want to reduce the rpm on the highway. I saw a sprocket kit changing to a 16 tooth front and 40 tooth rear. What kind of difference will I see in drivability around town? I haven't seen anyone discussing how it would change acceleration really (I know it will decrease but how noticeably). Is there an estimate on how many rpm you reduce at say, 65? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
before i bought my 750 i was looking at a 600 doing my research prior to purchase i realized this would be a concern for myself. i did find the information your requesting online but i don't remember where. specific kits that are made for the 600 are slim so sprocket options were slim. if i recall it wasn't a drastic rpm change but enough to fight the high rpms of the highway. ive never ridden the 600 but watched a couple videos and it seemed pretty snappy for around town so at worse you might have to give it a bit more leaving a stop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kind of what I'm finding. I got the 600 because I was able to pick it up for $300, it needed the carb and tank cleaned, fuel line replaced but otherwise was in good order. I didn't have the time so paid a buddy to get it running. $500 in and I had a running motorcycle. I've done about $200 in cosmetic stuff and replacing the chain.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DCA7 Spirit - NHB01 Black
472 Posts
For what it’s worth, these engines can turn higher rpm for hundreds of miles on end without issues. The 600 is a pretty well balanced engine, has to be made well to spin up to 8,000rpm and hold together for tens of thousands of miles.

Do you want to reduce RPM just because you feel it’s too high cruising? That’s fine, but keep in mind that the 600 doesn’t really have enough torque to lug around under 3500rpm in top gear, it’s meant to be pushed higher.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For longer rides the vibration can be a bit much. I'm not wanting to drop it way down low just reduce some of the higher end vibration.
I've seen that the 40 or 41 tooth reduce just enough to stave off some of those issues without really causing driveability problems. I will eventually look into a bigger bike but for now this seems like a good compromise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone have any suggestions on a decent company to order from? I have found several places but no reviews.

·
Registered
131 Posts
A little late to the party but I went with a 40 tooth rear several years ago.
Here is what I said on another forum after two weeks

If you're on the fence about re-sprocketing, take my advice - DO IT NOW - IT'S WORTH IT !!

If you're not on the fence or haven't even considered it - DO IT NOW - IT'S WORTH IT !!

Best Mod ever. I've not done the advanced timing. So maybe second best.

I'm 74, been riding since I was 17. Got another Shadow for my now 18 yr old step son. Stock sprocket. For a year he's been saying, "I don't know what the big deal is. Mine is fine." A couple of weeks ago we ran out of back roads and went about 20 miles on Interstate 81, 75-80mph. When we got home the first thing he said was, "Can we do that sprocket mod this spring?"

I bought sprockets from Old Bike Barn: Vintage Motorcycle Parts | Motorcycle Parts but I just checked and they don't have 40's, or 16 fronts as far as I could see.

I'd recommend Motorcycle Parts: Online Store for Best Accessories at Cheap Prices!. I just spent $200+ for front tire, tube and parts to replace fork seals including Progressive Suspension Springs. They're good people.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I couldn't find the full chart. But did find this - VLX600 - At 60MPH with the stock gearing the RPM is 3750 and at 70MPH 4377 RPM's
16/40 Sprocket combination yields 3410 RMP at 60MPH and 3979 RPM at 70MPH

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all, that's a lot of really good information. I couldn't find a 40 tooth but did find a 41 and it's on its way, unfortunately the Rona has everything moving snails pace for shipping so now it's just waiting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts