Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Shadow Ace 750 14.4 k : it started sputering with 120 or so miles thru a tank of gas so I guessed it was just running low on fuel and dismised it. Then it started doing it at 100-80 and now on a full tank. This is the sequence.... sometimes its right out the gate or even after 30 miles or more in any gear mostly 1-3 it may sputter bad enough to make you pull over or untill I move the petcock to the vertical position go a mile or so then move the pc back to hori position. And it keeps on cruising like a new bike go figure.... What am I doing wrong or is this a mech problem ?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
might be gunk stuck in the mechanism. My pc was off in the horizontal position, run was down and res was up, but a different Shadow, an 1100 Sabre.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Six o'clock position is breakfast. 12 o'clock position is lunch. 5 o'clock position is dinner.

It's been so long I've forgotten what the missionary 'position' is. ;-)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But seriously ive put 2k miles on in with the pc in the 12oclock position. Almost Ran outa gas once and put it in the 3oclock pos to the filler station then back to 12. **** I no sabe ill have take a closer look wen i get home.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've been riding older bikes for so long. I got my wife the Shadow. Looking at the repair manual trying to familiarize myself and saw it. "Just why the hell is there a vacuum line going to the petcock? "
Automatic petcock? Daymn!!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
No , it's the other way. Fully counter clockwise it on, fully clockwise is reserve and the middle is off.
Sorry, been a few months since i had to mess with one ;)

But seriously ive put 2k miles on in with the pc in the 12oclock position. Almost Ran outa gas once and put it in the 3oclock pos to the filler station then back to 12. **** I no sabe ill have take a closer look wen i get home.
No kidding, with it up youll have no warning youre running out, and with it pointing left, its OFF...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hahahahahahahahahaha. Oh sheeyat hahahaha wooooo. Ok so i get home and wipe all the @#% forsaken dirt and grime where i can see the markings on the petcock and woooooo wait for it......it shure as hell was like the guy said : reser 12oc off 3oc on 6 oclock. Wow extreme failure on my part, miracle the bike hasent burned up to hell. Sincerely sorry to have wasted everyones time really. But thanks for the replys and trying to help. My fn bad. Ok let the extreme bashing begin.......

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Consider yourself bashed. Enjoy the ride. Someone will be along in a minute or two to tie you to the yardarm and give you 20 lashes.;)

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Hahahahahahahahahaha. Oh sheeyat hahahaha wooooo. Ok so i get home and wipe all the @#% forsaken dirt and grime where i can see the markings on the petcock and woooooo wait for it......it shure as hell was like the guy said : reser 12oc off 3oc on 6 oclock. Wow extreme failure on my part, miracle the bike hasent burned up to hell. Sincerely sorry to have wasted everyones time really. But thanks for the replys and trying to help. My fn bad. Ok let the extreme bashing begin.......
You get to walk the plank of embarrassment on this pirate boat, me matey. Never fear we won't throw you to the sharks for now. :mrgreen: Looks like you need to clean that bike up and read the owners manual if you have one or get a service manual for your bike. ;)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I've been riding older bikes for so long. I got my wife the Shadow. Looking at the repair manual trying to familiarize myself and saw it. "Just why the hell is there a vacuum line going to the petcock? "
Automatic petcock? Daymn!!
My 1980 XS850 had that vacuum petcock setup and the little baffles had cracked just making an air leek and wouldn't open the valve. Took me a little while to figure out what was wrong.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Can't bash a guy who owns up to his mistake. I'm sure none of the rest of us have ever made a boneheaded mistake. :).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts