Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighborhood is plagued (or blessed) with squirrels. You never know which way they will go out of the street when you approach. Instead of trying to out guess the squirrel, I just keep going straight, assuming if necessary I can run over the poor guy without dumping me and the bike. Is a squirrel small enough to run over without falling?

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
My neighborhood is plagued (or blessed) with squirrels. You never know which way they will go out of the street when you approach. Instead of trying to out guess the squirrel, I just keep going straight, assuming if necessary I can run over the poor guy without dumping me and the bike. Is a squirrel small enough to run over without falling?

Yes. It will just feel like a small bump.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
Yes.. And well done.. They do it on purpose, you know.. Once saw a squirrel with little twig deer antlers on its head jumping out in front of cars n'such .. Maybe I was hallucinating.. :neutral: ...Maybe not though .. :neutral: ... Damn squirrels..

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, and also rabbits? My neighborhood is also 'blessed' with bunnys, until the coyotes come back and clean them out. I always slow down for rabbits, they look too big to hit without dumping over.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
imo, one should not feel guilty if they unintentionally crush the skull of a squirrel that happens along the roadway. However, one should realize that running over the body of a squirrel may present a type of riding disruption similar to that of running over a bag of lizards.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Oh, and also rabbits? My neighborhood is also 'blessed' with bunnys, until the coyotes come back and clean them out. I always slow down for rabbits, they look too big to hit without dumping over.

600 lb bike beats 10 lb rabbit. Watch for the coyotes though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
A buddy of mine dumped his bike running over a rabbit on a curve. He said that those things are slick when your smearing them on the road. He totaled his bike and spent a couple of weeks in the ICU.

Best advise is to go straight and hope they will move(unless its a deer or cow or something huge). You are more likely to crash trying to miss an animal than hitting it (again assuming that its not a big animal).

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Best advise is to go straight and hope they will move(unless its a deer or cow or something huge). You are more likely to crash trying to miss an animal than hitting it (again assuming that its not a big animal).
Good advice, and it's what I always say if asked. Go straight unless what you are about to hit is large enough to cause you or others harm in terms of bodily injury or property damage. Doesn't matter if it's a bike, or a cage, or a semi tractor trailer...same advice. A deer or cow is a no-brainer if you're on a bike. Swerve to avoid that sucker if you can. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
600 lb bike beats 10 lb rabbit. Watch for the coyotes though..
Yep, the sheer velocity of a 600lb bike will make any rabbit sized critter into rabbit sized critter frikassee pretty darn quick!

Coyotes tho', :neutral: ...not so much.. That'd be a Big-ol'-bump, that'd be.. Then there'd come the indignant gnashing of teeth and then it'd be off to the docs for a new nose .. :sad:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lmao! thanks guys. I don't want to kill an animal, but me and my bike come first.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Just stop and put them in you bag they make great road kill stew with roasted buzzard legs
Texas delicacy.
^^^^ that. I wouldn't stop for just one squirrel, but a rabbit's worth it. Just get it home before it spoils.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,578 Posts
Senile raccoons and Valks, no problem.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yes.. And well done.. They do it on purpose, you know.. Once saw a squirrel with little twig deer antlers on its head jumping out in front of cars n'such .. Maybe I was hallucinating.. :neutral: ...Maybe not though .. :neutral: ... Damn squirrels..
I've seen that around here too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Came up over a hill one time and there was a dead squirrel right in my lane, with his friend who was alive checking on him...well..to late to react, hit the live one and sent him to squirrel heaven to join his buddy... No damage to me or the bike..I will slow down though going over a hill with limited visibility. Lesson learned at the expense of the squirrel.

·
Registered
18,126 Posts
I looked!
I wish I had it saved for easy access...
I`m talkin` about the "crazed" squirrel story, very similar to "Deer Roping" in content...
Anybody got access to it???

It`ll bring a laugh,
D

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Senile raccoons and Valks, no problem.
Yeah, the 800+ lb bikes like yours and mine don't even notice these little critters.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts