Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Umm, okay. I know this is dumb question and those of you who have been working on bikes since you were 12 will get a good laugh (or be annoyed, I apologize).

If I wanted to change my own oil or do various other things, how do I stand this thing up straight, preferably with the wheels off the ground...lol

I don't need the least expensive option--I don't mind paying for good solutions that last--but I am not opening a service shop either.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have the same bike and a jack. There is a problem, the bike sits too low and is too wide for the jack to work with it. The cheapest solution is to drain the oil. Then put your kickstand on a block of wood to fill. Do it the other way you risk knocking the bike over while taking off the drain plug.

Dingo.

·
Super Moderator
6,528 Posts
You don't really need a jack or stand to change the oil and filter. When refilling the crankcase I pour in just shy of three quarts and it ends up being right on the money....

Just to get the rear wheel off the ground I stack some short pieces of 2x4's under the right side of the frame (with the bike on it's sidestand) and then use a small car jack to lift the left side of the frame. You gotta' be real careful though because there's no tie downs like on a lift and if you go too far, the bike could topple over. I use this method when I need to do some chain maintenance. Using the lift is tricky because the engine hangs lower than the frame and you have to have some spacers for the lift to work so you don't damage the engine....

Phil

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Just get the Harbor freight jack, it's pretty cheap and can be had well under $100 after a 20% coupon that can be easily aquired. That's what I have but to change tires and keep the lift off the motor you're lifting one side at a time... Unless you do what I did. Unbolt the two lift pads from the lifting arms, then cut the cross bar off that connects them, buy some 5.5 or 6in grade 8 1/2in bolts and then either cut the connecting bar up for spacers or use washers to space the lift pads farther out on the outside of the lifting arms of the jack. Boom now you have a lift that is more stable and doesn't hit the engine! And it only takes about 15min to do.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've had a Harbor Freight jack for well over a decade and it's lifted a lot of bikes. I have no complaints thus far.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I have the Harbor Freight jack also, haven't used it on my Phantom yet but have on my sons ACE and it works great I also got the front wheel chock and you just ride into it and you bike is standing straight and you can run a strap if you want to make sure it doesn't move. It also works great to get the bike level to jack up easier or just level to work on the ground. Makes it so you have no worries jacking it up by yourself of your bike tipping because its already level. I also got 4 jack stands to set the bike down on so no worries of the jack lowering or in my case have my sons on the stands for storage and the chock and jack available to use on mine if I need to without having to lower his back down. With coupons about $160 for all, very inexpensive and useful tools to have!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Same bike.. I put a 2x6 under both tires and the kick stand.. Perfect clearance to drain and change the filter.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
On my Spirit i used a 3" drain pan with no issues. Its actually too tall for my Fury though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just get the Harbor freight jack, it's pretty cheap and can be had well under $100 after a 20% coupon that can be easily aquired. That's what I have but to change tires and keep the lift off the motor you're lifting one side at a time... Unless you do what I did. Unbolt the two lift pads from the lifting arms, then cut the cross bar off that connects them, buy some 5.5 or 6in grade 8 1/2in bolts and then either cut the connecting bar up for spacers or use washers to space the lift pads farther out on the outside of the lifting arms of the jack. Boom now you have a lift that is more stable and doesn't hit the engine! And it only takes about 15min to do.
great idea!! I have one of these jacks..i'm not sure what you mean by spacing the lift pads further out on the outside....jack....sounds like a great idea though...do you have picts or could u go into more detail? Thanks!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Here's a link to what I did for a lift, the only change I have made to it is to add a second spacer so the front arm lifts the bike by the frame instead of the engine.

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/113778-lifting-vt1100-level.html

I have only needed to use the lift on my VT1100 a couple times such as when I pulled the front forks to have the leaking seals replaced. Most of the usage is when lubing the chain on my wife's bike (still asking myself, if it is "Her" bike then why isn't she lubing the chain?).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts