Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned it for 11 years, but never wore it. I am slightly claustrophobic, and have a big head. (Those hats that say "fit all" do not apply to me!)The helmet is a 2X, and still snug. But since I decided to push it this year on how late in the year to ride, I decided to give it a shot. I have found that I kinda like it. I rode to work yesterday morning with it. The roads were still wet from rain, and the temp was 55 degrees. I rode with the shield only 80% closed, and marveled at how crisp things looked, and had very little wind in my eyes. And as long as it is cool, I had very little fogging when closed all the way. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
+1

Try it again with your windscreen off and you may really enjoy it, just smooth air and fun. Your arms may get a good workout too if you hit the super slab.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
No doubt about it, they are warmer, quieter, and more protective from wind. Like them or not, they are nice to have when it is cold.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Years ago I rode in nothing but a full face - even in the summer months in Vegas. Now I have a 3/4 and a lid but am going out today to buy a full face because it's getting cold. Sunday we are doing a ride from Camden to Atlantic City and temps are supposed to be in the low 60's. Monday morning when we get up to ride home it will be in the 50's. That's a long ride with a cold face.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just got a full face, its a modular design that the front flips up on, and has the built in flip down tinted "shade" looks like a huge pair of sunglasses,

I love the flip down shade, I can keep the outer shield up, and the flip down shade down, and it feels so much less claustrophobic. since it does not seal off,

·
Registered
274 Posts
Everytime I hear/see a hornet splatter on my visor, it re-confirms my decision to wear a full face. I'm sure they sting, and the guts are pretty gross

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,127 Posts
From my experience, HJC CL15 fit elongated noggins, and my GMax 58s fits round noggins'. HJC large was a little loose and the medium was too tight. GMax medium was just right. I always wore a Nolan medium in the past and they fit always good. As far as modular helmets, they are alternative/middle of road concept but landing on a hinged chin protection doesn't seem that protective to me from the point of "oh s**t situations". But truthfully I haven't check one out in person to verify my viewpoint. The more mechanical something is, the more apt to break.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Speaking of hornets ... If you leave your full face out on your bike just make sure to check it before you pop it on your head ... I ended up with a yellow jacket inside with me once. I didn't get stung but it was still very unpleasant when I finally realized what it was in the corner of my visor. Let's just say that I couldn't get to the side of the road fast enough.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I hate helmets but our laws say we have to wear them..when you wear a full face helmet in heavy rain and high wind you get rain on the inside and the outside of your visor..when doing about 80mph the wind can push the front of the helmet hard up against your chin which is quite annoying, wiping it off only removes the outside rain allowing about 12ft of vision, in really bad weather you are lucky to see 8ft.

Opening the little vents prevents any fogging in dry weather and I would rather have bugs splattered in my helmet than my face.

John.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I went to full-face helmets around 20 years ago, and prefer the added weather protection, as well as keeping out the aforementioned bugs...

·
Registered
617 Posts
I like wearing a full face, every time a giant bug splats on what would otherwise be my face...i'm happy i have it on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wear a modular helmet, haven't tried riding with anything other than a FF so far. I took the windshield off this morning for the first time to ride to work. The feel of the wind pushing against me added a different element which I liked, especially just going to work, no faster than 60 or so on the highway. I'm not sure I would have liked it as much getting hit full blast in the face. Of course many others ride that way, so it may not be as bad as what I'm picturing in my head.

The problem I had though was my green vest didn't deal with the wind as well and came half off as I was riding home. Might have to figure something else out when riding with no windshield.

Before my first ride after finishing the BRC.

My TRON look! :p

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have both a full face and a half helmet. Depending on where I am riding dictates the helmet. If I am just putzing around town and backroads I will wear the half helmet. If I am out on the superslabs, if it is cold, or raining, I will wear the FF. I like both of them for various different reasons.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have always had FF helmets. I use a Scorpion EX750 now. I had a 1/2 helmet years ago, but my eyes tear really easy and it looked like I was bawling going down the road. Not a good look for me.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Love my FF but ride with the faceshield up 100% of the time when it is warm enough. I like knowing my chin and all are better protected in a faceplant but still get that open air feeling and just use shades to protect the eyes.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I hate helmets but our laws say we have to wear them..when you wear a full face helmet in heavy rain and high wind you get rain on the inside and the outside of your visor..when doing about 80mph the wind can push the front of the helmet hard up against your chin which is quite annoying, wiping it off only removes the outside rain allowing about 12ft of vision, in really bad weather you are lucky to see 8ft.

Opening the little vents prevents any fogging in dry weather and I would rather have bugs splattered in my helmet than my face.

John.
My FF Shoei RF 1100 seals up good in the rain, and I use a pinlock anti fog visor, it works out well for me. I can see pretty good even in hard rain storms.

sent using motorcycle.com app

·
Registered
2001 1100C
886 Posts
About 2 weeks ago I rode from my place in NJ to my parents place in NY. (bout 6 1/2hr ride.) I left at 1:30 in the morning so there wouldn't be as much traffic to deal with. Wore my Carbon Fiber Half Shell Outlaw helmet. Well, when I pulled into a truck stop in Hartford, PA at about 4am it was 41* outside. Needless to say my face was FROZE... Had a long sleeve and a hoody under my jacket and full Leather chaps so I wasn't too cold but I couldn't feel my face for a few hours. The part that sucks is I do own a full face helmet, but it was at my parents place in NY. I left it up there last summer because I never wore it and got sick of it taking up room in my shed. Needless to say, I wish I'd had it then.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I bought my bike it came with two helments, one full face and one half helment. The full face was to small for me but the full face fit my wife perfectly. The half helment I could wear but my buddy next door said full face to protect that chin, being I'm new to cruising he gave me some advice, Bugs, sting, rocks hurt, pavement makes you ugly! My next door neighbor had a extra large full face and told me to give it a try. Fit perfectly and he said to use it until I found one that I really liked and to save up and get one that fits me. So I have been using it. This morning I took a short ride down through the country, cool air, slight breeze, fall colors, Was a nice ride. I had to get on the big slab coming home. My neighbor has been on me about wearing gloves. I really don't like wearing them but for some odd reason this morning I dressed all out for the ride, Boots, gloves, full face helment, and my leather jacket. As I was coming home a truck slung something from under the tire, I presume it was a piece of tire rubber. Long story short, it pegged me, Got my little finger and ring finger, bounced up and hit my neck and chin. It didn't appear to be very big, **** happens, I rode on home. Got home parked the bike and started taking off my gear, To a HUGE surprise. Both fingers are cut and swollen, a nice cherry on my neck down to my shoulder, but the biggy was, whatever hit me ripped the side vent off the helment and put a good size cut in the paint job and cut the trim on the face seal. If I hadn't been wearing it I think I would have come home with a slightly different look when I looked in the mirror. Glad I was wearing gloves as well, close examination I see it caught part of my hand grip and clutch lever. Again, not bad but I see enough to open my eyes to why I SHOULD wear all my safety gear all the time. It might be a requirment to wear a helment, thank goodness for a friend he pushed the issue of the importance of boots and gloves!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.