Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I own a 1985 Honda Shadow vt500c. It's a perfect bike i know :D did a little custom work - nothing fancy though.
Anyway, I have a serious issue with the starter clutch. I checked the starter motor - it's in mint condition runs perfectly, checked the starter gears - also mint condition. And when I unbolt the starter clutch I noticed that the starter clutch slides freely and it doesn't catch the shaft. The ball bearings and springs are ok, but I noticed that it's somehow grinded out on the inside(just where the bearings and springs shrink to turn over). I've looked every where and noone has that part available. specificaly this part, under number 6:
1985 Honda VT500C A PULSE GENERATOR | PartsFish.com

I've searched ebay and nothing, also honda dealers over here told me: that bike is too old, no parts sorry...

anyway, any help I will appreciate, wheater how to rebuild it if possible, or where to find a replacement, or a part from another bike that fits... I don't know, i'm open for suggestions...

Thank you,
Goce.

· Registered
3,103 Posts
So are you saying that the S/C is not ingaging on the crank? i will admit this is one area on the 500 that I am fuzzy on. I would have to look in my manual, which is not near me right now.

But try this guy here. His name is Cole. He owns larsenmotorcyle.com Tell him Jason from NJ sent you. I got my motor from him.

484-678-9396

· Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like the inner race of the starter clutch has grooves or ridges in it. It's very hard metal. you can have a machine shop recondition the surface but it must be within specifications. Get a kit with new rollers and springs regardless of what you think yours look like. with a nice new surface to roll on it will work just fine. I put mine in a drill press, held in there with an adjustable freeze plug and used files and sandpaper to turn down the surface. Got it cleaned up and works fine. But you might want to just go the machine shop way. ebay must have some around. Maybe some V4 parts might work.

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,933 Posts
Hadn`t heard of starter clutch until recently, but...
Wow, ain`t this the topic nowadays!?!!!

It all started when Jim had his starter clutch go haywire on his 1100 Classic V-Star, then it comes into our forums...
Now it is progressively getting more discussion...

121,500 on my Bike,
D

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey there, me again :)
I was wondering... if someone of you know is there any possibility to take a starter clutch from another type of bike - for example Honda CB or maybe Honda VT600 and put it onto the vt500?
I know there maybe no way to do that but asking doesn't hurt :D

· Registered
3,103 Posts
WOW..waited a long time to get it fixed....lol I bet if you had called the number I gave you, Cole would have had the part. But no worries, I'm glad you got her goin again. Congrats.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.