Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined this forum yesterday because today I am supposed to pick up a 1986 VT500C. The bike has starter clutch issues which on my 1979 CB 750 was an easy fix. This issue I'm running into is that the Starter Clutch Springs for this bike have been DISCONTINUED by Honda & they don't seem to be available in the aftermarket. I've Googled & checked eBay & have had no luck in finding any replacements. Should I buy the bike & experiment with different springs until I get it right? Has anyone else had this issue? I actually have an extra set of springs for the CB 750 so I thought I'd try those 1st. The other issue is if the surface the clutch rides on is worn but that's a whole other can of worms to deal with. I'll cross that bridge if I get to it I guess. I'm only paying $700 for the bike with 27,000 miles on it but I don't want to end up with a dead $700 bike setting in my garage because it won't start & can't be fixed...... And I'm not sure how long it will continue to start the way it is now.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated. I am pretty mechanical so I'm not afraid of doing the experimenting with the springs, I'm just hoping if someone else has run into the same problem they might have some advice for me.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

· Premium Member
7,692 Posts
The question is, does lack of fear experimenting with springs, outweigh your fear of sitting on a $700.00 pile of parts? I'd spend the money on something I know I will be riding and not wrenching, but that's just me.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The question is, does lack of fear experimenting with springs, outweigh your fear of sitting on a $700.00 pile of parts? I'd spend the money on something I know I will be riding and not wrenching, but that's just me.
Good point Smilie, I really don't need to be spending the money so close to Christmas on something I possibly can't use. :-(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.