Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Days after I bought my 500 for $800 the starter stopped starting, lol.. well not really :(
It has a fully charged relatively new battery & will pop start but only clicks when I try the starter.
After downloading the manual I "really" don't want to remove the starter yet..
I 'have' found the much talked about in other threads "3 yellow wires" & 1 is frayed against the old styled fabric covered wire..
I'm about to go check the connections on those 3 wires.
While I do that, any tips or suggestions?

Thanks, it's Saturday, I recently got my plates & wanna ride!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
make sure those yellow wires are good, so fix those up and maybe try jumping the bike quick and see if that makes a difference. Could not have enough juice in that battery. I've lived through it and after I jumped it I've been fine since lol.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
make sure those yellow wires are good, so fix those up and maybe try jumping the bike quick and see if that makes a difference. Could not have enough juice in that battery. I've lived through it and after I jumped it I've been fine since lol.
well I checked the wires, nothing obvious, cleaned the neg ground, tried to start it & all I get is the solenoid clicking still.

For some reason I think the starter is stuck.
Last time it worked I went out for a ride & found a nice out of the way area to practice low speed maneuvers etc & stalled it eventually & it made a weird noise when that happened & I tried to restart it. It was like it stayed on a little bit or not enough & didn't sound right. From then on it did not start at all, just the clicking.
Luckily some good ole boys stopped & gave me a push start & it fired right up.. hasn't started since

·
Registered
843 Posts
Try jump starting the bike with a car, car OFF. If it starts without issue the battery is bad and needs replacement. VT500Cs simply will not start on a sketchy battery. Check the water level on the battery to make sure it is topped up. Without proper care even a seemingly new battery can be bad.

Also check your battery voltage. Start the bike. At idle the battery should be at around ~12-13v. Rev over 3,500 rpm and the voltage should be at ~14-15v. If these are all true then your RR is fine.

Note that it takes battery power to start the bike with the starter. This is not replenished until you ride above 3,500 rpm for about 20 minutes. If your battery is marginal you may not be able to start your bike if you stop. Low speed riding below 3,500 rpm does not charge your battery back up.

Learn to bump start your bike. This will come in handy and not leave you stranded.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
bump start as in push start? I'm 46 & when this issue started 25 miles from home I did it until I was quite winded, I run 4 miles every other day too.. ;)
is there a secret to it? I tried in neutral till I got it going & upshifted to 2nd

with someone else it will push start. The battery was fine & started it right up on the trip where I stalled it & it wouldn't even turn over at that point ?

RR?

Thank you for your help so far BTW

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
If you battery voltage is ok and its clicking than your start solenoid is likely on its way out. Check for good connections before replacing anything.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, I tried to jump start it from a vehicle that was off & there was absolutely no difference.
Anyone know a part # for a starter solenoid so I can try to find one by cross referencing?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Its not your starter.

Yes it has a start solenoid.... All motorcycles do.

Almost any start solenoid from 80's hondas have the 4 wire connector and the power section. I think I used one from an old cb900f on my wifes shadow.

To troubleshoot the solenoid, pull off you side cover and try the starter until it fails. Hold in the start button after it just clicks, tap on the solenoid with the handle of a screwdriver, more than likely your starter will start spinning.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, after too long in the garage & not on the road I've narrowed it down a little.
The solenoid does nothing at all, not even spark when I try the screw driver test across the terminals

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Have you removed all the connections and cleaned them yet? sounds like you have a bad connection from your battery to solenoid. or solenoid to starter.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok...
Solenoid is new, battery load tested fine - all I get is 1 click when I hit the start button.

I took the starter out I'm so frustrated -but- for whatever reason I hit the start button & it still does that 1 click, is that normal with the starter OUT?
Seems like power isn't even getting to the starter ??

I took the starter out to test it tomorrow

·
Registered
3,476 Posts

Your not using a multimeter are you? Save yourself some time and go get a cheap multimeter, Its the only way you can see electricity.

Hit the starter and check for 12vdc at the starter power post. Have you cleaned the ground points yet?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
ok...
Solenoid is new, battery load tested fine - all I get is 1 click when I hit the start button.

I took the starter out I'm so frustrated -but- for whatever reason I hit the start button & it still does that 1 click, is that normal with the starter OUT?

Yes the click is normal however it does not mean the solenoid is good no matter what any one says. Solenoids can click and still be bad. You desperately need a multimeter. You can get a cheap one at wally world.

It you don't have one you can bypass the solenoid and see if it starts then but you will need the starter to be mounted back on the bike. The solenoid has 4 terminals. Two large and two small. The large one are the ones you want for this test. One comes from the battery and the other goes to the starter. Hook a jumper wire from one to the other(just touch the wires to the terminals, do not connect them.) This should be enough to tell if the starter is bad. If it is nothing new will happen. If its not bad and all connections are good( such as the ground to the battery and the hot to the starter) then the starter should turn.

Forgot to warn you there are likely to be sparks from this procedure so be careful(no gas leaks in other words)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the issues were 1 of the yellow wires & then after that it kinda tried to turn over every once in awhile.
I took the (rebuilt by me) starter back out & took it to a local favorite for alternators & starters (Brown's if you are local).
He id'd that the surface where the brushes ..... brush (lol) was out of round from the old bad brushes. He turned it on a lathe, $50 bucks & out the door.
Not a problem since! What a weird problem.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
It sounds like he skimmed your armature commutator, it was a common problem back in the day..carbon brushes too hard and they wear a groove, too soft and they either wear out too quick and fill the gaps between the segments with carbon or wear down to the spring and brush holder and rip the segments out.

John.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts