Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 84 shadow vt 700. My starter is going bad and draining my battery. Still turns over but won't for more than 3 ish seconds. I tried to take the starter off today, figured it be straight forward following the directions in the service Manual but it won't come out. Do I need to take off the crankcase? Can I just hit is a few times or rock it around and get it out?

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,088 Posts
There is a O ring seal on the snout of the starter and if you spray some WD 40 down in front and wiggle it will help loosen it. It gets dried out after many years.
I would jump the battery with a non running car battery first. Many guys have gone in circles with questionable battery power.

Attachments

Reactions: Schmohawk007

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,088 Posts
These starters draw about 80 or more amps, so even though a battery is up to 12.5 volts after a charge, but has a weak cell, it will drop like a rock under all that load.
Put a meter on it and see how far the votage drops when you crank it. Should be above 9.5 -10 volts.
That is why jumping the battery with good power will confirm a weak battery or the starter itself.

Reactions: eggabeewa
1 - 4 of 4 Posts