Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I’m going to have to get new clutch plates. The ones I have are just a month old. I hope I don’t have to replace them every month! A 1994 Honda shadow vt1100c… what plates should I get? I’ve been using Valvoline 10w 40 for wet clutch. Was this stuff even around in 1994??? What oil should I be using? Any other ideas how I can avoid clutch slipping while I’m throwing money in this pit? Help!

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's not the oil, has to be the right hand fighting the left. I use syn and found it slipped when fresh. After a few hundred miles, wouldn't slip. Can't point the the oil. You blipping that throttle if it's not in gear, coming out of gear, downshift ever gear? Sit at a light, clutch in, blip here, a blip every 10 seconds later?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not the oil, has to be the right hand fighting the left. I use syn and found it slipped when fresh. After a few hundred miles, wouldn't slip. Can't point the the oil. You blipping that throttle if it's not in gear, coming out of gear, downshift ever gear? Sit at a light, clutch in, blip here, a blip every 10 seconds later?
Started slipping at high speeds kept getting worse now it won’t move in any gear clutch just slips.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Started slipping at high speeds kept getting worse now it won’t move in any gear clutch just slips.

·
Registered
19,191 Posts
HMMM =>
I used HONDA parts when I did mine...

Do you have a manual?
Something`s NOT Right for it to have worn the clutches this Quickly...
I really don`t feel that the Clutches are worn out in that short of a time period...
UNLESS You`re CONSTANTLY "Slipping the clutch"
How`s the cable?

Maybe just an Adjustment?,
Dennis

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
18,781 Posts
If you have a hydraulic clutch, the return port in the master cylinder can hold pressure and not let the clutch engage fully. That is more feasible than new plates with a problem already.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,815 Posts
@swifty2014 is right, has to be something else. I've used all kinds of different oils I've gone back to Honda synthetic motorcycle oil.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HMMM =>
I used HONDA parts when I did mine...

Do you have a manual?
Something`s NOT Right for it to have worn the clutches this Quickly...
I really don`t feel that the Clutches are worn out in that short of a time period...
UNLESS You`re CONSTANTLY "Slipping the clutch"
How`s the cable?

Maybe just an Adjustment?,
Dennis
No cable. Hydraulic clutch. No adjustments available

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you have a hydraulic clutch, the return port in the master cylinder can hold pressure and not let the clutch engage fully. That is more feasible than new plates with a problem already.
I also took the slave cylinder completely off so nothing was engaging the clutch and I could still walk the bike around in first gear.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
18,781 Posts
Maybe the cone-shaped spring washer has flipped backward. A few guys had that happen.
I think it was from the master cylinder keeping pressure building up.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
hmmm ... how about just using the oil Honda recommends??

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Can’t find that product when I look it up… 😉

Probably because this oil will be the exact same thing?
My point is that if you buy and use Honda GN4 oil then you don't have to question if you are using the right oil.

Reactions: PhantomRider64

·
Registered
19,191 Posts
Yeah, @squidchief I used to "go outta my way" to get regular oil from the auto parts store, in order to "beat the price" of Motorcycle specific oil...
Come to find out >> HONDA sells GN10W40 Cheaper than the Castrol 10w40, I was buying ;)
Ain`t been back to regular oil since,
Dennis

My Baby is HAPPY

·
Banned
2019 Phantom VT750C2B [black/ shaft/ 5gear/ hard bags/ shield]
57 Posts
It looks like I’m going to have to get new clutch plates. The ones I have are just a month old. I hope I don’t have to replace them every month! A 1994 Honda shadow vt1100c… what plates should I get? I’ve been using Valvoline 10w 40 for wet clutch. Was this stuff even around in 1994??? What oil should I be using? Any other ideas how I can avoid clutch slipping while I’m throwing money in this pit? Help!
Be sure you're adjusting your clutch cable properly or replace or repair hydraulic clutch lever fluid; your clutch plated might be working fine. And use Motorcycle "only" oil, and soak your clutch plates deep in oil over night [or longer] before replacing them. Also, watch certified mechanics on YouTube. JB34205 www.cmause.org

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Be sure you're adjusting your clutch cable properly or replace or repair hydraulic clutch lever fluid; your clutch plated might be working fine. And use Motorcycle "only" oil, and soak your clutch plates deep in oil over night [or longer] before replacing them. Also, watch certified mechanics on YouTube. JB34205 www.cmause.org
There is no clutch cable. I wish there was. It would be an easy fix. Hydraulic clutch

1 - 20 of 21 Posts