Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have been working on my bike for while now. The bike will not start, it won;t even turn over. Initially i would turn the key to on and the headlight would turn on, i would push the ignition and all i would get is a single click coming from the solenoid. First i replaced the battery and i still had the same problem, headlight on push ignition and single click from solenoid. I just replaced the solenoid. Now when i hook up the battery with the new solenoid i blow the fuse that is part of the solenoid. I need help on figuring out what to do. The book said after the battery i should replace the starter relay(solenoid) so that is what i did but now the fuse blows every time i try and hook up the battery. Specifically i can get the pos lead hooked up but when i start to touch the neg lead to the hook up that is when i get sparks and the fuse blows. I also tried hooking up the neg lead first (book says pos first when hooking up battery) but still i blow the fuse. It is a 30a fuse on a Honda shadow vt500 83. Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
You need a multimeter. Disconnect the battery and hook the multimeter up to power feed. You will likely have a short shown. Start disconnecting sections of the harness. Narrow it down that way.

·
Registered
748 Posts
You need a multimeter. Disconnect the battery and hook the multimeter up to power feed. You will likely have a short shown. Start disconnecting sections of the harness. Narrow it down that way.
+1
It can be time consuming, but check one wire COMPLETELY from end to end with the mulitimeter and your eyes and then move on to the next one. Having a repair manual with the wiring diagram and color coding is a big plus too. Good luck, keep us posted!
Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts