Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a 84 500 VT and I always have a problem starting the bike after it warms up. It will start right up when it is cold, but after it reaches operating tempature, it will not start up. When I push the start button, it seems like it drains the battery completly. If I jump start it it will start up agian. I thought it may have been the battery so I bought a new one and it does the same thing.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? Someone said maybe it was the stator. How do I check the stator.

Could this be a problem with the starter?

thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
When you get the engine running, check the voltage across the battery terminals. 14 volts will tell you the alternator and stator are working. 11.4 or less volts will tell you there is a charging problem.

Your description sounds more like a bad connection somewhere, and when it heats up, the resistance builds until current will not pass. Second guess is an electrical component is failing under heat.

Or you could have a fuel problem - when the metal gets hot and expands, an intake leak may be showing up, making the mixture too lean.

In any case, I would start by looking at and cleaning all the primary connections including battery, starter, grounds, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sounds like it could be a starter going bad. When it's hot the starter pulls more juice than the battery has available so there is not enough to fire the coils.
Earl

1 - 3 of 3 Posts