Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, I have a 2000 shadow sabre (VT1100C2), When I have been riding for a while and I have to stop for a coffee or whatever reason, the bike wont start. It will not even turn over, all I have is the clicking sound, same as if the battery was dead. Even after I put a new battery in, it still do the same, I have to carry a booster pasck with me to jump start.

Any advice

·
Registered
18 Posts
Any advice
[/QUOTE]
Good day, I have a 2000 shadow sabre (VT1100C2), When I have been riding for a while and I have to stop for a coffee or whatever reason, the bike wont start. It will not even turn over, all I have is the clicking sound, same as if the battery was dead. Even after I put a new battery in, it still do the same, I have to carry a booster pasck with me to jump start.

Any advice
Maybe I'm wrong. but from my experience... what you just said..... in the past one of my motorcycle. i had the same issue & it was the bad starter. when the motor are very cold it will start just fine. but when the motor are hot it won't start at all but clicking sound. I had to push my bike to get it start.
Try replace with a new starter. if same problem then I have no answer & you can always simple take it back & get refund

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
You need to check and clean the start switch contacts. Did you check the battery voltage before you replaced it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tks for your answers, Has you'll probably notice from my next comment, I'm not mechanically incline, so there it is....I was also told that it could be a something(forgot name ) rectifier. Would that make sense

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
If you can ride a bike and hook up a booster battery you probably have enough mechanical aptitude to manage troubleshooting the charging system.
Buy, beg or borrow a digital multimeter if you don't already have one, it doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, but stay away from unbelievably cheap ones.
Grab the Service manual http://www.adlowe.net/motorcycle/repairs/VT1100/VT1100C2_2000-2007_Service_Manual.pdf so that you can find the things you are looking for.
Then follow along with the guide from the link @smilie posted.
That should tell you what is at fault, so you don't end up buying expensive stuff that you don't need based on what it might be.
If you search on YouTube you can probably find a video of somebody doing it on a similar bike and watching that may boost your confidence in your own abilities.

You can do this, so let us know what you find and then folks here can point you in the right direction to resolve it and have your Honda back to the reliable bike it is meant too be.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
....I was also told that it could be a something(forgot name ) rectifier. Would that make sense
It's more the connector between the stator and the RR. If it's bad you'll go through a lot of batteries prematurely. Visually inspect the connector, a known trouble spot on metric bikes.

Even after I put a new battery in, it still do the same [wont start], I have to carry a booster pasck with me to jump start.
If you have a multi-meter, voltage across the battery shouldn't drop under 9.5V at the moment you push in the start button. That's in order to start the bike reliably. Did you take the step of sanding the terminals on the battery cables as well as the battery terminals when you installed the new battery?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts