Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I recently bought a 2005 Shadow 750 Sprit. I am new to street, but have been riding off-road for 25+ years and know enough about bikes to get myself into trouble working on them. The bike has 2400 miles on it and looks brand new. It has not ran since 2009. I brought it home, drained the gas and changed the fuel filter. It fired right up and I have put over 100 miles on it around town. I noticed sometimes in 3rd or 4th it feels a bit sluggish, almost like it is starved for fuel. Today, I took it on the freeway for the first time. In 5th gear, cruising at a constant throttle, going about 65mph, it felt like it wanted to die.
Common sense tells me dirty main jet maybe??? Thoughts on this before I dig into this thing. I keep hearing about carburetor synchronization? No idea how or what that is. All my dirt bikes have single carbs, heck my new CRF has FI. The bike did stay running, in fact went down to 4th and ran fine. The previous owner did have some carb work done from a shop as it sat for too long once before. Unfortunately he was not very mechanically inclined and had no idea what had been done before.
Any offers of suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks!!!
Dave

·
Registered
561 Posts
I always put in good carb cleaner and a little dry gas first, then if things are still not right, go on from there..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always put in good carb cleaner and a little dry gas first, then if things are still not right, go on from there..
You mean pull your carbs and clean?? What's dry gas?

So after my op, I put new plugs in trying to eleminate any issues. Took it for a test ride and noticed that it only does it when I have been riding freeway speeds and then pull the clutch in to downshift to go on an offramp. Just riding is fine, it's the downshift after freeway speeds that it feels like it wants to cut out or needs more fuel.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Try running some seafoam. But it does sound like a dirty main jet. Start with the simple fix first.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
You have a bike that was stored for 3 years, and are not sure where to start???? Start at the front wheel and inspect and repair everything till you reach the rear wheel. ALL fluids NEED to be changed, battery may need to be replaced, ALL electrical connections should be cleaned, Carbs Cleaned/adjusted/ Sync'd, ALL Fliters Shanged or cleaned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts