Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up guys. Recently replaced stator and rectifier and battery. Battery died on me today and upon further inspection. The connector on the harness side is bad and blown up. And apparently can’t get a new one without buying a new harness. I’m honking about just cutting the connectors off and wiring them together. What y’all think? I saw a video of someone doing it to a Ducati. But idk.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

·
Registered
1997 Honda Shadow ACE VT1100C2
347 Posts
I just did this to my 97 Honda Shadow ACE VT1100. I bought a MOSFET regulator at Roadstercycle and he recommends bypassing the plugs and wiring them directly. I was leary at first but once you commit it's too late. I have to say it's nice seeing my volt meter hovering around the 14v area instead of the 12.5v to 13v area with my old R/R.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,075 Posts
Soldering SS wire to copper wires suck thus the major reason of Honda using a plug and being user friendly. They're not the only manufacturer that uses a plug.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I used the bare butt connectors, crimped, then soldered and heat-shrinked.. Used a bit of electronic solder flux, then got a decent solder joint.

Hard to tell on yours, the ones I've re-done all seemed to have the worst damage at the crimp on the stator side, which might indicate it was Shindengen who had a crimping problem?

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
925 Posts
there is a new sticky thread on this we just started last week

Yep...
I've seen a repair kit for this fix made by Honda for Goldwing's, in a vid on Utube, it might be in the vids, in the linked thread.
edit: that Honda fix kit shown in this vid at about 6:00
PN 31105 ML8 -305
:unsure:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Notice in the video image there, it's also melted where the crimp is, more than where the spade terminals are and on the stator side again...

Reactions: "Captain D"
1 - 11 of 11 Posts