Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to buy a new stator. My question is theres 3 little zip ties attached I'm pretty sure I need to remove them before install but not sure...

·
Registered
706 Posts
But when you test mount it, if you don’t have to remove them, then don’t. The shipper may have figured that you can twist tie them tight there, which allows you to mount the stator, yet keeps the wire away from everything.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
15,252 Posts
It looks like they help to hold the harness flat away from the flywheel and metal parts.
I would leave them if it fits fine in the case. Does the original one need any hold downs like that?

Reactions: Troy Jollimore

·
Registered
2003 Ace Deluxe
105 Posts
one last tip,
before you remove the old one, take out 1 bolt and go to the hardware store and get 3 or 4 longer ones (however many your bike uses .
cut the heads off, replace the current bolts once at a time and use them as alignment studs to remove and install the new stator.

the studs will keep the stator lined up nicely so you don't accidently get it stuck to the magnet during the R/R

once the new one is installed remove the studs one at a time and install the oem bolts , torque to spec etc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure yet this bike is new to me and the guy I bought the bike from left me with a mess still havent got the cover off 2 bolts are striped.
It looks like they help to hold the harness flat away from the flywheel and metal parts.
I would leave them if it fits fine in the case. Does the original one need any hold downs like that?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
That new stator looks smaller than original. By any chance is it a Caltric brand stator? If so, don't install it. Caltric is garbage. Won't last a year. Get a legit OEM replacement and if your stator went, I recommend you replace the reg/rec as well. It will die soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts