Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this topic has been beat to death, but I'm hoping someone can tell me I'm not stupid before I click the little button that costs me $250.

My battery died on me when I was out shopping last week. Had to push start it in the Target parking lot. When I got home, I yanked the battery cover off and discovered a whopping 12.7 volts either running or revved up. Disgusted, I set the battery on the charger for the night, and got the kids bathed and to bed.

Just for grins, I had the battery tested at 4 (yes, 4) different places, and got 3 different answers. I've got a battery on the way here because 2 of the places tested it as bad. Another said it was just fine, and yet another said it was on it's way out, but not bad enough to warrant replacement, whatever that means.

I did the Electrosport test, and got to where you measure AC voltage coming out of each of the three yellow wires. Yes, they've already been soldered together and my soldering job held. No resistance on either side of my connection. Any way, I've got about 7.5 volts AC coming out of each of the 3 yellow wires. I'm guessing the stator is shot, yes?

If I'm replacing the stator, I might as well do the rectifier too so that it doesn't take a dump on me in a week and a half. It looks like I'm going with Rick's Motorsport parts, but I've got some more searching to do yet.

So, the $250 question: Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
18,103 Posts
No resistance on either side of my connection....unQuote
Not looking at the instructions, going on memory..., I think you need to disconnect the three yellow wires to test output...
the reading should more than 7.5 also...

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yes you do have to disconnect the 3 yellow wires to test the stator. If I remember it right you will get like 90vac out of them. The electrosport guide was very good at pointing me to a wireing problem in my bike. Follow it to the letter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, looks like I'll just start over from the beginning on Sunday when I get some time. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Your stator is probably still good. It's the voltage regulator that causes all the problems (along with to small gauge wiring) Time to do the update.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
And another bit of info...

You can save some $$ and see if you can find a used Mosfet regulator off Ebay or Craigslist. Being they run cooler and have less problems, they will more than likely last longer (as long as you own the bike more than likely)

Also, it's just a good idea to install some type of voltage meter/gauge on your bike if you haven't already, so you can see at a glance what your charging system is doing at all times. It lets you see how far the power drops when you turn things on while riding, like your driving lights, etc. It just gives you an idea how much power your accessories use when using them and when to turn things off when sitting in traffic or at the stop light.
As a rule, I try to keep thing turned off a little before shutting the engine down for the day, to send all the available power to the battery, so I know it's ready to go when I decide to start it again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts